Planning a trip to Alaska

Old November 27th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Frank Hastings

Default Planning a trip to Alaska

I'm planning a trip to Alaska relying on the "Flyfisher's Guide to ALASKA"
as the basis for the plan. The trip I'm looking at would be a driving trip
around the Kenai Peninsula with maybe a 1-2 night floatplane trip to one of
the forest service cabins on one of the lakes if available, or a canoe trip
if not.

Has anyone done this and do you have any suggestions?

Is an RV necessary or will an SUV with a tent and a few stays in lodges be
OK?

Is there any place where fishing tourists sell there stuff (cook gear,
chairs, etc.) before going home? Or is renting the way to go for gear.
Traveling to Alaska with all my camping gear doesn't appeal to me.

Who are the good outfitters to work with if I want to do a 2 night trip on
the Swanson River canoe trail?

Looking for any help I can get, this is the first time to Alaska and I'm
bringing my dad. Others will be coming but right now I'm not sure how many.

Frank

Old November 28th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Joe McIntosh

"Frank Hastings"
Is an RV necessary or will an SUV with a tent and a few stays in lodges be
OK?

Indian Joe offers---take the back seats out--build a couple of boxes to hold
stuff that you can then sleep on and a van will be fine.
My squaw shared a nine week trip , sleeping in tent most nights--but some
campgrounds had a bear alert and required us to sleep in van--you don't
need campgrounds-just pull off road and set up tent. Next morning you will
find other tents around yours.

Take cartons of cigarettes to trade---they sell for around 4$ per pack up
that way.

Don't buy fancy flies for salmon fishing--just tie a piece of color on
hook--when they are spawning they will hit anything going by .--

Have fun--for us it was second best fishing trip ever--next take your father
to New Zealand

Old November 28th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Willi & Sue

Frank Hastings wrote:

Looking for any help I can get, this is the first time to Alaska and I'm
bringing my dad. Others will be coming but right now I'm not sure how many.

These are the folks to ask. They're mainly Alaskan residents. They were
very helpful to me.

http://alaskaflyfishingonline.com/cg...LASKA&number=2

Willi