Mosquitos

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Mosquitos

With the warming temperatures and spring showers, mosquito
populatio=
ns thrive so make sure you keep some bug spray handy.

The "Itchey" Season is approaching.....

It's about that time folks--

so thought I'd send out this reminder!!!!

OK, mosquitos...

prepare to be repelled!!!!!

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...Best thing ever used in

Louisiana..just wipe on & go...Great for Babies

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day

April through October . He said it works. He was right.

Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it.

Every one he has talked into trying it works on them.

Vitimin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)

If you eat bananas,

the mosquitos like you, - something about the banana oil

as your body processes it.

Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitos

will be much less interested.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best

insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods

every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off

a smell that bugs do not like,

so plant some in that garden also to help ward

off bugs without using insecticides.

"Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time

"camping out" say that the very best mosquito

repellant you can use is

Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about

half and half with alcohol.

One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered

is made from the clear real vanilla. This is the pure Vanilla
that i
s sold in Mexico. It works great for mosquitoes and ticks,

don't know about other insects.

When all else fails--get a frog

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Some interesting ideas here. I especially like the one with Avon
Skin-So-Soft - but doesn't it make the alcohol taste funny?

Old June 12th, 2006, 03:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Mike" wrote in news:1150092254.969900.293010
@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I just tried and liked the Cutter Extreme, with Picardin instead of DEET.
No melted plastics worries, and it's much less oily. I used the sports
formulation, with a higher concentration.
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
With the warming temperatures and spring showers, mosquito
populatio=
ns thrive so make sure you keep some bug spray handy.

The "Itchey" Season is approaching.....

SNIP

I am a believer in the vitamin B approach. It's worked for me for many
years. Even back home where we have "moose-quitos".

--
Ric Hamel
A poor$, poor$ fishing freak living in the GWN

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 12 Jun 2006 14:36:41 GMT, Scott Seidman wrote:

I just tried and liked the Cutter Extreme, with Picardin instead of DEET.
No melted plastics worries, and it's much less oily. I used the sports
formulation, with a higher concentration.

I've been using Cutter Advanced for about a year and have been pleased with the
way it works on mosquitoes, gnats and flies.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Mike wrote:
[...]

Interesting list of folkloric mosquito bite stuff. I had thought that
mosquitos and other biting insects were essentially attracted by the
CO2 you exhale and extrude from your pores. I've found Skin-So-Soft a
total waste of time. Sounds nice though. In Vietnam and Laos my local
counterparts were never seemingly bothered by mosquitos. That was
commonly ascribed to a relatively salt free and low animal protean
diet. Odd though as my local counterparts were just as susceptable to
contracting malaria as I.

The only thing I've found to be effective was DEET, and even then black
flies, horse flies/deer flies were still a menace. Head nets, gloves,
long pants and long sleeve shirts in black fly season. And watch out
when you whip it out to relieve yourself as anyone hiking Isle Royale
in the U.P. will attest. :-)

There is suposed to be some *newer* stuff on the market that is touted
to be better than DEET. Anyone have any reviews?

david N.

Old June 12th, 2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 12 Jun 2006 12:28:48 -0700, "David" wrote:

There is suposed to be some *newer* stuff on the market that is touted
to be better than DEET. Anyone have any reviews?

Google "Cutter Advanced".
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Charlie Choc wrote in
:

wrote:

I just tried and liked the Cutter Extreme, with Picardin instead of
DEET. No melted plastics worries, and it's much less oily. I used
the sports formulation, with a higher concentration.

I've been using Cutter Advanced for about a year and have been pleased
with the way it works on mosquitoes, gnats and flies.

Charlie-- Good catch-- I meant Advanced, not Extreme. Do you know if it
works for ticks? I can't find any data. I suspect it hasn't been well
tested, and I wouldn't be surprised if it worked.

BTW, I can't find this stuff in any of the outdoor chains. It appeared in
my supermarket in its own display, and I snapped it up.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Scott Seidman wrote:

Charlie-- Good catch-- I meant Advanced, not Extreme. Do you know if it
works for ticks? I can't find any data. I suspect it hasn't been well
tested, and I wouldn't be surprised if it worked.

from http://www.picaridin.com/science.htm:

"Efficacy: Picaridin was tested against mosquitoes, flies and ticks in
both field studies and in laboratory cage tests. Against certain
strains of mosquitoes, Picaridin provides equal or longer protection
than identical concentrations of DEET. Efficacy against ticks has been
demonstrated in laboratory cage tests. "

Old June 12th, 2006, 10:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wayne Knight" wrote in
oups.com:

Scott Seidman wrote:

Charlie-- Good catch-- I meant Advanced, not Extreme. Do you know
if it works for ticks? I can't find any data. I suspect it hasn't
been well tested, and I wouldn't be surprised if it worked.

from http://www.picaridin.com/science.htm:

"Efficacy: Picaridin was tested against mosquitoes, flies and ticks in
both field studies and in laboratory cage tests. Against certain
strains of mosquitoes, Picaridin provides equal or longer protection
than identical concentrations of DEET. Efficacy against ticks has been
demonstrated in laboratory cage tests. "

Thanks Wayne.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply