bait fish

Old May 11th, 2004, 01:27 PM
BuZZard

Default bait fish

Yesterday.. I was at the Sand Key bridge in Clearwater Florida..
Not to far out.. .maybe a mile into the gulf.. there where tons of
bait fish.. I didn't have a casting net on hand at the time.. so I
put a rig on with six yellow things with hooks in them.. I don't know
how to spell it.. but i will try.. Then call them a zabeekie rig...
I was throwing them into the cloud of bait fish. I tipped off
the hooks with pieces of shrimp..and on every throw.. I was getting
blue runners.. and white bait...but it wasn't until I hit sand key beach..
about a hundred yards off the beach.. and rigged up with two small hooks..
tipped with pieces of shrimp.. and I could catch as many pinfish as I
wanted.
I was fishing for redfish.. and snook.. No luck on those last night..
but I ended up with a real nice spanish mackeral.. 27 inches long..
and a 18 inch spotted sea trout. I only hit three fishing holes (that are
top
sekeret, so don't ask. heh) The wind wasn't helping matters much.. it was
all going in the wrong direction on three of my holes. I am grateful for
the two
fish I caught.. I plan on putting the mackeral on the grill.. and smoking
it..
and I want to chop up the trout into fish nuggetss rolled in batter.
Got some steaks .. so its going to be surf and turf tonight.