John Darling RIP

Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Tony Deacon

Default John Darling RIP

I've just learned that John Darling died early this morning.

John wrote some very good stuff on sea angling, that influenced my early
thinking. His more recent book on Bass Fishing (Crowood) was also very good.
In recent years, he was better known for his writing on air gun hunting. He
was an exceptional photographer.

I knew John personally in the past ten years, or so, and sank a few pints in
his company in the Golden Galleon, at Exceat Bridge.

Regards,
Tony Deacon

Old January 22nd, 2004, 10:33 PM
Ian D

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:25:44 +0000 (UTC), "Tony Deacon"
wrote:

I've just learned that John Darling died early this morning.

John wrote some very good stuff on sea angling, that influenced my early
thinking. His more recent book on Bass Fishing (Crowood) was also very good.
In recent years, he was better known for his writing on air gun hunting. He
was an exceptional photographer.

I knew John personally in the past ten years, or so, and sank a few pints in
his company in the Golden Galleon, at Exceat Bridge.

That's very sad news indeed.
Condolences to family and friends.
I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally, but like you his
writing had quite an influence, particularly his early articles in
'Angling' magazine and later his books on bass fishing.

Another to add to the long list of those anglers and writers who were
active when I started in the sport, and are now no longer with us.
I'm starting to feel rather old.

Cheers
Ian D