This might actually be on topic....

Old November 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

Default This might actually be on topic....

spot on.... ‹(•¿•)›

On Nov 17, 4:22*pm, "asadi" wrote:
I have a friend who, believe it or not...is totally blind to Usenet and
groups and such in spite of being on the internet for some years...

So I am telling him about ROFF and how to see the group on google and I told
him this...

" " " They are a rather odd bunch, cabin fever is setting in pretty early
this year and most of the talk is politics. *The guys and occasional gal are
calling each other all sorts of names, threatening to mutate each others DNA
and end their heritage, but all in all, they are not bad. *When they finally
consent to talk about fishing, they have a wealth of knowledge and there is
not a single person amongst them I would not feel honored to fish with and I
have felt more honored more often than I deserve..." " "

.....did I say that right??

john

Old November 17th, 2008, 10:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-11-17, asadi wrote:

" " " They are a rather odd bunch, cabin fever is setting in pretty early
this year and most of the talk is politics.....

Not here. Balmy 68 deg F and so I went fishing.

When they finally
consent to talk about fishing....

Since I live only 5 min walk from far river bank, I decided to give it a go.
Didn't get any strikes but I think I went too late and used wrong fly,
plus shadows already decending. Besides, I just went more for the exercise and
to keep my cast chops up. Must be working. No wind knots. Just as I was
leaving, I noticed what appeared to be a midge hatch in full bloom. Is that
unusual in late Fall? I think I have a couple midge flies. I'll try again
tomorrow a bit earlier in the day.

nb
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

notbob wrote:

Since I live only 5 min walk from far river bank, I decided to give it a go.
Didn't get any strikes but I think I went too late and used wrong fly,
plus shadows already decending. Besides, I just went more for the exercise and
to keep my cast chops up. Must be working. No wind knots. Just as I was
leaving, I noticed what appeared to be a midge hatch in full bloom. Is that
unusual in late Fall?

It's not at all unusual.

I think I have a couple midge flies. I'll try again
tomorrow a bit earlier in the day.

Are you talking about dry flies, like Griffith's Gnat? They can work,
but if your river has lots of midges and you don't see lots of rises,
you'll probably do better with tiny midge nymphs.

Old November 17th, 2008, 10:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-11-17, rw wrote:

but if your river has lots of midges and you don't see lots of rises,
you'll probably do better with tiny midge nymphs.

Yes, I saw no rises at all, so I'll try nymphs. I also noticed a couple
hoppers walking back. Should I give 'em a try?

nb
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

On 2008-11-17, rw wrote:

but if your river has lots of midges and you don't see lots of rises,
you'll probably do better with tiny midge nymphs.

Yes, I saw no rises at all, so I'll try nymphs. I also noticed a couple
hoppers walking back. Should I give 'em a try?

nb

Ask for "Chan's Ice Cream Cone" flies and give one a try ... a nymph

Old November 18th, 2008, 12:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"asadi" wrote in message
.....did I say that right??

john

perfectly. By the way, I DO hope you pencil in the last week of May on next
year's schedule, and come to Penn's. I realize that will require that you be
sequestered, heavily sedated, in a safe, protected area from about March 15
until you depart, to prevent the inevitable mishaps with missing or broken
members. This is the 10th Penn's Clave upcoming.....
Tom

Old November 18th, 2008, 01:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Nov 18, 6:45*am, notbob wrote:

Yes, I saw no rises at all, so I'll try nymphs. *I also noticed a couple
hoppers walking back. *Should I give 'em a try?

nb

What were they walking back from?

--riverman
(couldn't help it)
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-11-18, riverman wrote:

What were they walking back from?

--riverman
(couldn't help it)

I saw it coming after a post post read.

nb
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"Tom Littleton" wrote in message

"asadi" wrote in message
.....did I say that right??

john

perfectly. By the way, I DO hope you pencil in the last week of May on
next year's schedule, and come to Penn's. I realize that will require that
you be sequestered, heavily sedated, in a safe, protected area from about
March 15 until you depart, to prevent the inevitable mishaps with missing
or broken members. This is the 10th Penn's Clave upcoming.....
Tom

The 10th? My gosh...the first one I attended was the 2000 Waldo's Spring
Fling...my mind is a bit fuzzy....there were Penn's Calves before that?

In any event it's penciled in...

john