Fishing gear

Old January 29th, 2004, 02:39 AM
larry

Default Fishing gear

hello

I love to go bass fishing. Just a couple questions on what kind of
gear should I have. What kind on pole, reel and line should I be
using. Anyone quick one what types of bait are hot right now.
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Roy Randolph

Wow if that doesn't open a can of "Worms" I don't know what would lol

Need more info sir

1 fishing in your boat our some one else's? of from shore?
2 Large mouth or smallies?
3 can you use a baitcaster?
4 how much money do we have to play with here?

Hot baits right now are Sinko's, Berkley Gulp, Yamamoto Cut Tail and you can
never go wrong with tubes!

om...

Old January 29th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Rick Kovary

Larry,
"HUGE" question,
Keep it simple.I don`t know how involved you are?I would suggest a 61/2
med.heavy rod(Gander Mtn.sig.series-St.Croix blanks) spinning or casting
average price $65.00 . As for a reel , Abu Garcia 5500 c3 ( best all around)
aprox. $60.00 it`s easy to cast and holds line.(very dependable) Spinning
reel, your choice ( front drag or rear) get one that holds a good amount of
line for easy casts(I use spirex 2000) it`s entirely up to you.Then as for
tackle,(store you plastics in a plano 3700 they have adjustable
compartments) a few worms 6in.&4in.(red shad/june bug),a selection of
tubes(white,crawdad,brown) spinner baits 1/2 oz. cart/white, a few sticks
baits(rouges).and rattle traps(firetiger/blue&chrome). On your rod it will
be marked as to what line size and lure weight you can use with it.
My father just got into bass fishing, these are the items I got for him to
start,1 rod (his choice-bait caster) and a hand full of lures.He is very
happy with the selections and he does`nt need to take 10 rods,2 tackle boxes
with him when he goes fishing !
Larry I hope this helps you, good luck with your fishing and remember there
are alot of "bass fishing clubs" out there, that would take you under their
wing and help you along the way.
Tight-Lines

Old January 30th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Good answer, just one thing. Gander Guide Series rods are no longer made by
St. Croix. I'm on a first name basis with half the staff, and am in the
plant probably 10-15 times a year. They did make them at one time, but no
longer.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of the post. Keep it simple in the
beginning.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:01 PM
Rick Kovary

Sorry Steve,did not know Gander changed. I just remember "opening" the store
in Pontiac,Mi. and back then that is what they were made of. thanks for
correcting me on the blanks. o.k. Larry just buy a "combo" unit from your
local store.
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:16 PM
Scott

Larry,

I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I'd start with a 6'-6'6" medium action rod
I prefer casting reels such as a spincast or baitcast.
I like PowerPro line myself but that's just personal preference

When it comes to gear, it's all personal preference. What you like I
may not, so keep that mind when shopping.

Baits, WOW There are so many on the market, I'm partial to
crankbaits, spinnerbait will work too, and don't forget plastics.
With plastics, try fishing them either with no weight or with a jig,
either way.

I hope this helps!

Scott

Would love to go fishing but don't know how to start?

Check out http://www.getstartedfishing.com

Getting started has never been so easy!