OT- Sharing a great experience with you

Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob Rickard

Default OT- Sharing a great experience with you

Everyone in this group sits at a computer to take part here, but there is no
question that my environment & experience while doing so is probably far,
far more enjoyable than yours. You can easily upgrade your experience to
equal mine by continuing to read this.

I am kind of an expert on a few things, but I am a full blown expert on one
subject for certain: knowing high quality music reproduction. As some of you
are aware, I was deeply involved in the Hi-Fi business for many years before
going into the fishing tackle business, & have been professionally
recognized for no small number of audio breakthroughs, unknowingly used
worldwide today by most people, including you.

For the last few years I embarked on a quest for the best & most affordable
computer sound system a person could ever want. That quest ended a month
ago, & I have lived with it for that month. It appears I have totally lucked
out again & I can share it with you if you wish. The total cost to you
should not exceed $350.00. No skills or technical ability is necessary to
hook it up, & installation should take a few hours maximum. It uses a
self-amplified, but very small home subwoofer. Mine sits under my desk, but
if necessary it could be placed even in a different part of your room with
no sound degradation. It also uses one pair of very compact self-amplified
full range speakers that you can hopefully place in front of you, equally
spaced from your head. These speakers hook directly to your computer, which
needs no special outputs to run it. This system will then become your
computers sound system for anything & everything. The average listener would
tweak & adjust it off & on for a few hours, & then never touch it again.

Here are the items you will need, but there is one rule you must follow: Buy
exactly what I am telling you to buy here. This is not just a suggested
guide... substitute anything else at your own risk, & I promise that it will
not work as well. This perfectly matched system will probably sound far
better than anything you ever had in your home or car, and here is exactly
what you want. These are available on line, & dealers can be easily located
on Google or elsewhe

~ 1 pr. Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 speakers (about $100-$120).
~ 1 KLH #PS-8 Subwoofer.

That's it! Enjoy...

Bob Rickard
.................................................. .................................................. ...............

Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Bob Rickard wrote:
[...]

Hmmm....I'll have to dig around in my computer cabinet and see what
brand and model of units I am using. While I have never been in the
components desing end of it I have certainly installed a few tens (or
maybe hundreds) of thousands of dolalrs worth of equipment in custom
homes as a communications contractor.

I read your description and decided it sounds very similar to what I am
using. A small powered subwoofer sits in the back of my computer
hutch. I haven't seen it in years, but when I listen to music I sure
know its there. I added a couple small shelves for my stereo pair
inside the hutch at about head level, but being an experienced sound
guy the speakers are NOT aimed directly at my head. Its got a full
rich sound that probably does not rival the DCM Time Window 1As that I
had on the front channels of my old surrond sound, but at all volume
levels up until it starts to over drive the little tiny voice coils in
the front stereo pair its very clsoe to the performance I get out of
the Bose 301 bookshelf speakers I use in my bar when I'm shooting pool.

Anyway, my computer speakers were not quite so expensive and might not
be on the same par as what you are using, but they do an amazing job
and are a similar setup to what you are using. They came as a complete
set and my cost on them was in the mid $80 range for the whole thing as
I recall. I got them through one of my distrbutors, so I'm sure retail
on them would be a little higher. I don't know if they are the same
quality as you are running, but they are pretty amazing, and are
actually a very similar type of setup to what you suggest. When I'm
home by myself and the wife doesn't have the TV going I'll use the
computer for background music before anything else. Eventually I'll
run a pair of coax (for line level) from one of the satelite receivers
over to the line in on the computer as well. Actually, eventually I'll
probably install engineered recessed speaker cabinets in the ceiling
throughout the house for background music, but for now... LOL.

Hey, I've only been in the new house for a year. I haven't had time to
do everything. LOL.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob Rickard

Your two satellites need not be aimed DIRECTLY at your head, Bob. Mine sit
right next to my video monitor & point in the same direction as the screen.
What is good to do if possible is to have those speakers equidistant from
your head, as are mine. Note that my computer desk is a corner unit, so my
17" screen points right into my eyes. My speakers therefore point right past
my ears. I love it.

Bob
.................................................. .................................................. ........................

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob Rickard

I forgot to mention that by far, most people who use subwoofers have them
set way too loud. This causes the bass to be boomy, flabby & anything but
tight & realistic. A subwoofer to a sound system is like salt is to a good
food dish; the right amount is great, but too much totally ruins it!

Bob
.................................................. .................................................. ...............................

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
om...
[...]

.................................................. .................................................. ..............

Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
et...
I forgot to mention that by far, most people who use subwoofers have them
set way too loud. This causes the bass to be boomy, flabby & anything but
tight & realistic. A subwoofer to a sound system is like salt is to a good
food dish; the right amount is great, but too much totally ruins it!

Bob

Big ditto on that. Heck, most folks that run like that I think must have
hearing loss. They don't so much hear the music as they feel the bass
thump.

The really big benefit to a subwoofer IMO though is for a home theater
surround sound. Its those subsonics that make your hair stand on end that
really complete the big dramatic tension feeling when the train goes over
the side of the mountain.

.................................................. .................................................. ..............................

Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
. net...
Your two satellites need not be aimed DIRECTLY at your head, Bob. Mine sit
right next to my video monitor & point in the same direction as the
screen. What is good to do if possible is to have those speakers
equidistant from your head, as are mine. Note that my computer desk is a
corner unit, so my 17" screen points right into my eyes. My speakers
therefore point right past my ears. I love it.

Yep, and for those who may listen for extended periods I'ld like to point
out that being directly in teh path of a speaker will tire you out
excesively. That's something I picked up doing comemrcial sound in
supermarkets and places like that. We never put speakers directly over
cashiers. I figured it was to reduce the likelihood of feedback when a
cashier was making an announcement, but it is primarily because cashiers
directly under the cone would fatigue faster.

--
Sincerly,
The guy who makes the final decision on who we buy from.

The Security Consultant
Bob La Londe - Owner
849 S Ave C
Yuma, Az 85364