When Fishing the Salmon River......

Old December 30th, 2006, 03:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default When Fishing the Salmon River......

Well I'm all hyped up and ready to put together an outfit for the
Salmon River, New York for next years Fall season.
I have recently been made aware that my 9 ft. 6 wt. Avid rod is a
little lite and wondered what equipment is recomended by those of this
group who have fished this river, Rod length, Weight, support items
like flies, streamers etc.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Regards.

Bob

Old December 30th, 2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

wrote in message
Well I'm all hyped up and ready to put together an outfit for the
Salmon River, New York for next years Fall season.
I have recently been made aware that my 9 ft. 6 wt. Avid rod is a
little lite and wondered what equipment is recomended by those of this
group who have fished this river, Rod length, Weight, support items
like flies, streamers etc.

You've come to the right place. Lots of guys here fish the Salmon. Opinions
will vary, but here's what my experience will tell you.

Firstly, I'll assume you actually want to fly fish, not "chuck & duck" with
slinky weights and all that other ****. I fish a dead drifted nymph or egg
pattern with an indicator & floating line. If you know the Salmon, you'll
know that back casting isn't going to happen, and that means roll or spey
casting. To get a long drift, good mending is also necessary. For me, that
means a rod length of 9.5' rod or more. With the longer rod, I can punch
the casts for distance when needed, and reach just a bit farther for the
mends. Sure, a 9-footer will be fine, it's not that big a difference, but
if you're buying a rod specifically for that river & purpose, go with a 9.5'
or 9.75' (or 10').

As for weight, I like an 8 wt. up there. A 7 wt. will work but is a bit
light IMO. A 9 wt. is also great, but is a tad more than you really need
(again, IMO).

Reel? Get one with a good drag, you'll need it. I love my J. Ryall, but
everyone has their favorite.

Flies? If you don't tie anything but little eggs on a #10 egg hook, you'll
do okay (pink, orange, yellow, red). I came up with a terrific little nymph
pattern that also works wonders (if I do say so myself
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/detail...=FS2001&id=28). Also, I've had
good success with many of the typical big salmon fly patterns tied smaller
as nymphs on a #8 3906 Mustad. The Purple Flash tied that way has had some
very good days for me.

Rig? Get a big indicator (aka bobber) on a 1x leader, 3' of 8# or 10#
tippet, & a BB split shot or two at the knot (maybe 3 depending on depth &
current speed). Cast it upstream, dead drift it down, & watch the
indicator. Mend as needed to maintain the drift. A little one-handed spey
cast is all you'll need to start over.

That's what works for me in most locations. I know some folks who use a
sinking line & streamers instead, also to good effect; but I like the dead
drift technique better. YMMV.

Joe F.

Old December 30th, 2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

wrote in message
Well I'm all hyped up and ready to put together an outfit for the
Salmon River, New York for next years Fall season.

Oh yeah. Call and make your lodging reservations now. The good places book
up early.

Joe F.

Old December 30th, 2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

rb608 wrote:
wrote in message
Well I'm all hyped up and ready to put together an outfit for the
Salmon River, New York for next years Fall season.

Oh yeah. Call and make your lodging reservations now. The good places book
up early.

Joe F.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thank you for your informative reply. Can I use a float and rig as you
have described using spinning tackle?

Regards.

Bob

Old December 30th, 2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

wrote in message
Thank you for your informative reply. Can I use a float and rig as you
have described using spinning tackle?

I dunno. I'd expect you could cast it okay, but there's no way to mend.
Probably wouldn't work IMO.

Joe F.

Old December 30th, 2006, 05:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

rb608 wrote:
wrote in message
Thank you for your informative reply. Can I use a float and rig as you
have described using spinning tackle?

I dunno. I'd expect you could cast it okay, but there's no way to mend.
Probably wouldn't work IMO.

Joe F.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

What do you think of Orvis' TLS 10' 7 Wt. 5-3/8 oz. Tip Flex 9.5 (4)
3" butt or perhaps,
TFO's Pro Series 12' 6" 8 Wt. (4) 3" butt. or TFO's 10" 9 Wt. (4)
There's a million good rods out there now if I just can wade through
them before next fall...

Regards.

Bob

Old December 30th, 2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

wrote in message
What do you think of Orvis' TLS 10' 7 Wt. 5-3/8 oz. Tip Flex 9.5 (4)
3" butt or perhaps,
TFO's Pro Series 12' 6" 8 Wt. (4) 3" butt. or TFO's 10" 9 Wt. (4)
There's a million good rods out there now if I just can wade through
them before next fall...

Alas, I am unfamiliar with any of those particular rods. In fact, I don't
believe I've ever cast a rod by either company.

Joe F.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

" wrote in
ps.com:

Well I'm all hyped up and ready to put together an outfit for the
Salmon River, New York for next years Fall season.
I have recently been made aware that my 9 ft. 6 wt. Avid rod is a
little lite and wondered what equipment is recomended by those of this
group who have fished this river, Rod length, Weight, support items
like flies, streamers etc.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Regards.

Bob

The fishings been so-so this year because of high water levels associated
with a dam draw down for repair.

I'll second the recommendations for a 9' 8 weight, floating lines. Some
have been promoting spey rods, and those I've spoken with that use them
swear by them.

Highly recommend Rick Kustich's "Fly Fishing for Great Lakes Steelhead".

Flies you'll want.
Glow bugs, Glow bugs, Glow bugs, heavy black wooly buggers, an assortment
of flashy stonefly nymphs, and some traditional wet flies, like the
Malinda, the Purple Peril, etc.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply