salmon fishing?

Old December 23rd, 2003, 10:37 PM
LOUIS Gu.

Default salmon fishing?

When does the salmon fly fishing start in California and is there a more
southern place to do it?

Old December 24th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Bob Patton

"LOUIS Gu." wrote in message
When does the salmon fly fishing start in California and is there a more
southern place to do it?

Not far enough south? How about Chile or New Zealand?
Bob

Old December 24th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Wolfgang

"Bob Patton" rwpmailatcharterdotnet wrote in message
"LOUIS Gu." wrote in message
When does the salmon fly fishing start in California and is there a more
southern place to do it?

Not far enough south? How about Chile or New Zealand?
Bob

Or Guaymas, for that matter? Oh, sure, the salmon fishing is spotty, but
it's close to home, the climate is wonderful this time of year, the food is
exquisite, plentiful and cheap, and the hummingbirds and bougainvillea are
out'a this ****in' world!

Wolfgang
and pelicans.....did i mention
pelicans?.....saguaro.....federales.....agave....m mmmmmm.....agave!

Old December 24th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Sierra fisher

Assuming that you want to fish in North America, California has the southern
most salmon fishing. Your a bit late for this year.. They start to arrive
in the summer and you can get fresh fish until late fall. You can catch
dying fish a lot later but they are no fun to catch and worthless to eat.
they are endangered in some rivers so you cannot catch them, or you can only
catch one or two a year. From my experience, I think that the Feather is
the best place to catch them on a fly rod on foot. A lot of people fish
the lower Saramento River, but it generally requires a boat. Salmon quit
feeding when they enter fresh water, so you are mostly trying to snag them
in the mouth. This is one of the big reasons that steelhead fishing is more
popular with fly fishermen

The coho or pink is the most likely to take a fly, but they are also the
most restricted. I don't know if there are any in California, or Oregon or
Washington for that matter.

"LOUIS Gu." wrote in message
When does the salmon fly fishing start in California and is there a more
southern place to do it?

---

Old December 25th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Bill Kiene

Hi Louis,

Salmon come into the Sacramento drainage almost year round. We have mostly
"King" salmon with some "Silvers" entering the Klamath and Trinity rivers.

We have endangered "Spring Salmon" or "Springers" that are Kings that come
into some of the Sacramento valley rivers Feb - May.

Starting around the 4th of July we get some small schools of early run fall
spawning Kings into the valley rivers but because of the limited numbers and
high heat they are not easily caught on a fly.

As mentioned here in another post, the lower Feather River near Oroville in
September is the number one place to catch a salmon on a fly in California.

The furthest south would be the lower American River in Sacramento for King
salmon in October.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

Old December 26th, 2003, 07:48 AM
LOUIS Gu.

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks all especially Sierra Fisher and Bill Klein.
I keep forgetting the whole world reads here! Silly me!
I did mean USA and more specific southern California. I know there is salmon
fishing north of San Francisco but I am in southern CA and as I am not
practiced in fly fishing, the first few times I didn't want to travel far.
Well maybe when I get work up in north CA. Or if I get more proficient
catching a different species first.
Thanks all again.

Old December 27th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, LOUIS Gu. wrote:

I did mean USA and more specific southern California. I know there is salmon
fishing north of San Francisco but I am in southern CA and as I am not
practiced in fly fishing, the first few times I didn't want to travel far.

Because of the endangered status of steelhead in southern California, it
is illegal to fish in just about any stream. You can fish in rivers
upstream from any dams but basically all other freshwater streams and
rivers that have access to the ocean (and therefore salmon) are closed to
fishing all the time.

Mu
Old December 28th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Sierra fisher

Mu,
You had better check the regulations. You can fish for steelhead in just
about any stream that has them.
Also, unless the dam has a fish ladder , there won't be any steelhead above
the dam, only below it.

The most restrictive regualtion about steelhead, is that in almost every
place, you cannot keep a wild steelhead. I don't know of any place where
you cannot keep hatchery fish.

there are some northern California coastal rivers where you cannot fish if
the water flows are less than a certain level. Your fishing regulations
give you phone numbers to call to see if the streams/rivers have enough
water flow to be open . However, you can fish these rivers regardless of
flow rate after a certain date, which is somewhere about March 1.

There are a few streams that get only a few steelhad every year, and these
may be closed to all fishing.. Possible streams that have closures would be
the Napa, and any coatal stream south of Santa Cruz. Since I do not fish
these strams, I am not up to date on their regulations

cc.itd.umich.edu...

Old December 28th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Sierra fisher

Mu,
I apologize. I did not catch that you were referring to Southern
California. I read California, not southern CA.
Sorry, JFk

Old December 28th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Sierra fisher wrote:

Mu,
You had better check the regulations. You can fish for steelhead in just
about any stream that has them.

Louis was asking specifically about southern California streams. As far
as I know, except for Calleguas Creek (which runs year round because of
the run off from lawn sprinklers) all other SoCal waters downstream from a
migratory obstacle are closed to any sort of fishing. Too bad because
there are about 1,000 mullet that hang out under the railroad trestle a
few hundred yards above the mouth of the Ventura River.

Here's a photo of what the Ventura used to yield
http://tinyurl.com/ytklp

Mu