Largemouth bass is the largest species of the freshwater sunfish family

Old July 13th, 2006, 08:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Largemouth bass is the largest species of the freshwater sunfish family

There are 44 million Americans fishing today, Largemouth bass the
largest species of the freshwater sunfish family are America 's most
popular freshwater game fish. The main reason for its popularity is
that Largemouth Bass fishing is a thrill?The fish itself has
personality? It's aggressive, it's Intense? It's simply the most Wanted
species of Freshwater Fish when it comes to Sport Fishing.
http://bassfishingjidt.cpa-site.com/home.htm

Old July 13th, 2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
runsrealfast

wrote:
There are 44 million Americans fishing today, Largemouth bass the
largest species of the freshwater sunfish family are America 's most
popular freshwater game fish. The main reason for its popularity is
that Largemouth Bass fishing is a thrill?The fish itself has
personality? It's aggressive, it's Intense? It's simply the most Wanted
species of Freshwater Fish when it comes to Sport Fishing.
http://bassfishingjidt.cpa-site.com/home.htm

having not much experience with bass, but from hearing stories from
other people I wonder if they are eaiser to catch that say trout. I say
if someone likes catching a bass then they would love fighting a big
rainbow trout in some of the wests rivers and streams

Old July 16th, 2006, 05:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Nartker

My opinion only, but I think the bass thing is because most people have
never seen a muskie, an certainly have not had one on the end of a 9 weight!
ups.com...

Old July 16th, 2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Nartker wrote:
My opinion only, but I think the bass thing is because most people have
never seen a muskie, an certainly have not had one on the end of a 9 weight!
wrote in message
ups.com...

There are 44 million Americans fishing today, Largemouth bass the
largest species of the freshwater sunfish family are America 's most
popular freshwater game fish.

The phrase "largest species of the freshwater sunfish family" is kind of
a weasel -- technically true, but misleading. Trout get much larger than
bass.

The main reason for its popularity is
that Largemouth Bass fishing is a thrill?The fish itself has
personality? It's aggressive, it's Intense? It's simply the most Wanted
species of Freshwater Fish when it comes to Sport Fishing.

Speak for yourself. I'll take a 30 pound trout over a 30 pound
largemouth bass any day, although I'd certainly get more fame and
fortune with the world record bass. :-)

Old July 16th, 2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:00:58 -0600, rw
wrote:

Nartker wrote:
My opinion only, but I think the bass thing is because most people have
never seen a muskie, an certainly have not had one on the end of a 9 weight!
wrote in message
ups.com...

There are 44 million Americans fishing today, Largemouth bass the
largest species of the freshwater sunfish family are America 's most
popular freshwater game fish.

The phrase "largest species of the freshwater sunfish family" is kind of
a weasel -- technically true, but misleading. Trout get much larger than
bass.

Well, your critique is misguided (but perhaps par for the roffian course these
days ;-) Trout are not sunfish, and the phrase you targeted is entirely
accurate and not misleading in the least (though, somewhat surprisingly, not
well known).

Your actual issue is obviously with the phrase "most popular freshwater game
fish", which I agree is easily debatable. At best, it's popularity is high
because it's nearly ubiquitous, living in waters that no self respecting
salmonid would find itself.

The main reason for its popularity is
that Largemouth Bass fishing is a thrill?The fish itself has
personality? It's aggressive, it's Intense? It's simply the most Wanted
species of Freshwater Fish when it comes to Sport Fishing.

Speak for yourself. I'll take a 30 pound trout over a 30 pound
largemouth bass any day, although I'd certainly get more fame and
fortune with the world record bass. :-)

Agreed - but you'd get even more fame with a 30 pound river smallmouth, as
it'd probably trash your gear, steal your car, and leave you for dead. That'd
make one hell of an obituary ;-)

I find largemouths mildly entertaining, but near the bottom of my own fish
ladder. They live in unexciting (and often not very clean) environs which are
often quite low in dissolved oxygen content, and have about 20 seconds of
fight in them at best.

Otoh, smallies - especially river smallies - will put up a fight easily
lasting three or four times that, will go ballistic to a degree a largemouth
simply is not equipped to display, and will leave the fishingperson spent.

Pound for pound, a smallie will kick a largemouth's fishy ass - and do it in a
place you actually want to be. If it's not the "most popular", it's because it
doesn't live where the masses live, which is fine by me...

/daytripper
(who wrassled with smallies up to 21" this weekend. what a blast!)
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Kiene

Catching them on a fly rod on top is the best.............

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

ups.com...

Old July 18th, 2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
runsrealfast

Just before she got married, my daughter was house-sitting for friends
in rural Iowa. While walking the acreage with her, we came on a fairly
stagnant pond (in the middle of topsoil rich Iowa) that was suprisingly
clear. A few bluegills were there, so I got my "bounce around the
trunk" 8ft 6wt and was catching some of them. I noticed a tree with
some kind of berry on it would, from time to time, drop a berry into
the water, whereupon a large ruch ensued. I checked it out and found
carp waiting below the tree for the berries.
I tied on a #8 hook, put on a berry, and tied into a carp I know
exceeded ten pounds. Over the two days, I must have hooked fifty of
those things and landed only four or five, each going about six pounds
or so -- breaking off all the others.
Might be a filthy fish, but it was fun.

thats one of those "you only read about stories". Thanks for sharing. I
could picture myself pulling all those fish in. (then my boss yelled at
me for daydreaming)

Old July 19th, 2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
noshellswill

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:58:51 -0700, ywrjgnhwxsdc wrote:

There are 44 million Americans fishing today, Largemouth bass the
largest species of the freshwater sunfish family are America 's most
popular freshwater game fish. The main reason for its popularity is
that Largemouth Bass fishing is a thrill?The fish itself has
personality? It's aggressive, it's Intense? It's simply the most Wanted
species of Freshwater Fish when it comes to Sport Fishing.
http://bassfishingjidt.cpa-site.com/home.htm

**WARNING** flamebait ....

...... yes indeed as I remember 44,000,000 large-mouth-bass are caught
every month -- 30 lbs each -- and every one of those cowbelly sows
fights less than an 11" Susquehanna small-mouth.

nss
*********