Strike Putty?

Old April 19th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Strike Putty?

Beginner question #12,318:
So far, two books I'm reading on fly fishing do NOT mention strike putty.
But, Orvis sells it, so it MUST be worth having, right? :-) Seriously....is
this stuff ever really useful, or do other fishermen laugh quietly when they
see it being used?

Old April 19th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Doug Kanter wrote:

....is
this stuff ever really useful, or do other fishermen laugh quietly when they
see it being used?

Count my vote as "laughs loudly". ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old April 19th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Mike Connor

"Doug Kanter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Beginner question #12,318:
So far, two books I'm reading on fly fishing do NOT mention strike putty.
But, Orvis sells it, so it MUST be worth having, right? :-)

Seriously....is
this stuff ever really useful, or do other fishermen laugh quietly when

they
see it being used?

It works OK but is not as good as a strike indicator.

I have used used Loons "Bio-strike",
http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/flo.../biostrike.htm and it is OK
as long as you only use small pieces.

These are better; http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/indicators/
although I donīt use indicators very often at all.

TL
MC

Old April 19th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
m...
Doug Kanter wrote:

....is
this stuff ever really useful, or do other fishermen laugh quietly when

they
see it being used?

Count my vote as "laughs loudly". ;-)

OK. I asked because in my first week of fly fishing, I suspect I may be
distracted by many yards of fly line down the back of my shirt, etc. So far,
the first 24 hours of casting practice have been.....interesting. And,
classes don't begin for another week.

Old April 19th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Mike Connor

"Doug Kanter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
, etc. So far,
the first 24 hours of casting practice have been.....interesting. And,
classes don't begin for another week.

Classes open all the time here;

http://www.sexyloops.com/beginners/index.shtml

TL
MC

Old April 19th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Doug Kanter

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
, etc. So far,
the first 24 hours of casting practice have been.....interesting. And,
classes don't begin for another week.

Classes open all the time here;

http://www.sexyloops.com/beginners/index.shtml

TL
MC

Why is that woman wearing clothes?

Old April 19th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Lat705

this stuff ever really useful, or do other fishermen laugh quietly when
they
see it being used?

It's OK, but will leave a rtesidue on the leader depending on temperature.

Lou T
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

Im not sure how well that works. Personally Im using either yarn indicators
(unless it very windy), or
preferrably the Pop Tops. The latter have the advantage of helping me determine
wether or not I have drag free drift.

I've had bad experiences with a number of the twist-on indicators. One brand
had a tendency to split
easly and once I had to discard about 50% of a batch even before using them.

Old April 19th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Mike Connor

"Doug Kanter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
Classes open all the time here;

http://www.sexyloops.com/beginners/index.shtml

TL
MC

Why is that woman wearing clothes?

Are you a Ferengi?

TL
MC

Old April 19th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Why is that woman wearing clothes?

Are you a Ferengi?

Rule #4. A woman wearing clothes is like a man in the kitchen.

True True,

JT