a really good day

Old July 19th, 2004, 02:47 AM
snakefiddler

Default a really good day

started it out by getting up before the tourists, students, and my son,
packin up my gear, and headin out to the river. i checked out a new spot,
and while the scenery was stunning, as is most around here, the fishing was
less exciting. after spending about an hour and a half doing that, i went
back home and picked up my son (18) , who is anxious to exploit his brand
new fishing license. i passed my spin rod onto him, and took him out for a
little lake fishing. not too much happened there either, although we didn't
really spend very much time, as i had another obligation. in spite of our
lack of success, though, my son was pretty stoked, and ready for more.

i, however, had an "appointment" to re-unite with my summer pickin group in
blowing rock. as most of you know by now, bluegrass is a passion of mine,
and the excitement, and camaraderie involved in pickin with this very
talented, and good humored group of people was something i had looked
forward to all winter. i arrived, hugs were exchanged, as were stories of
our winter survival tactics, and we commenced to playing. tourists and
locals alike were in the "audience", and the appreciation from the crowd
only increased the already bountiful adrenaline flowing among us. folks
hooted, howled, videotaped us, and took pictures. all in all it was a rush
that is difficult to put into words. certainly those of you who are
musicians know what i mean. so we played, and flatfooted, and said our
good-byes with promises to do the same next week, and i headed home, charged
with an energy that seemed nearly boundless, as always happens after i play.
so, again, i picked up my son, we got a pizza, and headed to blowing rock
park to "picnic", and fish some more! i got a couple of perch, which i
caught with one of dales olive spiders, and my son, with his brand new
license and thirst for fish, caught his first, then before long he had
another, and then another! by the time we left, he had caught two red-
breast sunfish, and a perch. now, i know these catches were made on a
spin-rod, but the pleasure of having another fishermen in the family is
outstanding, and he *is* actually pretty handy with my fly rod, as well.

as if all this was just not enough fun, the bats came out just as we were
preparing to leave the park. a couple flew so close, i felt i could nearly
reach out and grab them. we stayed a few more minutes to be entertained by
their acrobatics, but by now the sun had gone down, the evening breeze had
come in, making me pretty cold, so we headed home.

so, three fishin trips with my son, (with very nice results), a pleasant
picnic, and making music with my friends- a very good day, indeed.
this is the stuff that allows us endure the hard times......

snakefiddler

Old July 19th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Tim Carter

snip an excellent trip report

Snakefiddler, not only is it a good thing to see you enjoying so many good
days of fishing lately, but it must be magnified by having your son with
you. Good fer you, girl.

I'd really like to see you make a clave and be ready to pick some for us as
well. I know I'd enjoy it immensely.

Old July 19th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Jeff

snakefiddler wrote:

i am planning on the october clave, since
it is close to home. i have no idea how to plan for it, what to expect, or
even what the dates are, though. but i do know to plan on a good time
fishing with some roffians, and likely a valuable learning experience.

October 9-16 are the primary dates. It's in and around Graham County,
which is about 90 minutes west of Asheville. Mark, Wally, and Wayno are
familiar with the area. Rachel, Sadie (our dog)and I will be staying on
until the 23rd, and some others may show up during that second week.
I'm happy to provide info to anyone who asks.

Technically it's the anti-clave (CACA) cause there aren't any planned
events, raffles, rules, or requirements - it sorta takes shape day to
day, moment to moment as folks coalesce or meander, choose or not
choose, fish or not fish, etc. bring flyrods, spinnin rods, or just
tickle the fish from under a rock. musicians are most welcome...and
there is usually a weekly bluegrass night at Tooties in Stecoah. you'll
have a fine time...but, if you plan on a room or non-camping
accommodations, you should make reservations as soon as possible because
it's a popular time for the leaf-lookers, hikers, and fall vacationers too.

jeff

Old July 19th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Tim J.

"Jeff" wrote...
snakefiddler wrote:

[...]

Obvious dictation to someone who can work the "shift" key. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim