Shiners, 23 inch bass, gator and bird off dock

Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:26 PM
Dale Coleman

Default Shiners, 23 inch bass, gator and bird off dock

Hi all, I had one of those remarkable mornings I thought I should
share.

I have been going down to the local lake early every morning for the
past two weeks to practice casting my new surf rod and to toss out
some Purina puppy chow dog food to try and attract some wild shiners.
I have found that soaking the dry dog food in a zip bag 1/2 full of
water about 1 hour makes it soft and about half of it will sink when
it hits the lake. The fish really like it and every morning when I
toss some out the water boils with action. Only problem is I could not
tell what type of fish where eating the food. I could see a bream from
time to time in the early morning darkness but that was all I could
see for sure.

This morning I decided it was time to try the cast net and find out
just what has been eating all the dog food. I toss out some dog food,
wait a bit and then toss out some oatmeal. I get the net ready and
toss out a bit more oat meal and let the net fly. I pull it in and
find it is loaded with shiners. I fill the 5 gallon pail and have so
many I have to toss more then 3/4 of them back. Well I guess the dog
food trick really does work. I would like to try some hog food but the
dog food is much easier to find and seems to work just fine.

Now that I have some fresh wild shiners it's time to try and catch a
big bass. I selected my MH rod with Abu Garcia 5601 reel because it
has a clicker on it. I make a gentle cast to some lily pads about 20
feet away and put the rod in a holder. Next I grab my surf rod and
start working on my casts. As I'm casting away I hear the clicker on
the bass rod and quickly set the surf rod down and grab the bass rod,
make a nice cranking slow hook set and try to get the Owner MUTU Light
circle to do it's job. Fish on! Big fish on, it's pulling drag on the
stout reel. I almost lose the fish to the lily pads and then almost
lose it under the dock. Got it under control and pull up a nice 23
inch bass. The circle hook worked great and had gone into the hard
part of the roof of the mouth near the lip. I did have to cut the hook
to release the fish but it was nice not to deep hook it. I don't use
live bait much and deep hooking is a major concern for me. The fish
was released in good shape and I went back to the practice casts with
the surf rod. I blast out a long one and as the line starts to settle
after the lead hits the water I see a large white bird fly into the
line and it gets tangled up. I have no hook on the surf rod, just a
weight so I think it should not be hard to slowly pull the bird in
without hurting it to untangle it and as I start to crank in it frees
itself. That was different, almost caught a bird with no hook on the
line ;-)

Next thing that happens is a gar (I think) grabs the shiner I have out
and starts to swim away with it. I grab the rod and notice a small 3
foot gator eyeing the moving float. I think this could get interesting
so I free spool the reel just to see what would happen. The gator
chases down the moving float and runs off the gar and eats the float
and maybe the shiner too. I make another slow cranking hook set trying
to get the circle to work but this time it slips out or maybe the
gator only had the float. In any case it was a hoot and I was rolling
of the dock laughing.

I hope you enjoy my story and it's all true!

Later, DC
--
Dale Colemam

Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:27 AM
Bob Rickard

What a wild experience!
--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

s.com...

Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
alwaysfishking

that's just one of those days that you say to yourself nobody could make
that stuff up!! Sounds like you had some fun
"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
What a wild experience!

Old May 24th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)

And you want me to come up to fish that lake with you when? (wink-wink) Doc
"Dale Coleman" wrote in message s.com...
On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:21:51 GMT, Guy A. wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:26:13 GMT, (Dale Coleman)
wrote:

Hi all, I had one of those remarkable mornings I thought I should
share. I have been going down to the local lake early ...etc.....

Quite a story--thanks!

Buy not all of us know where you are......please name your location
and lake, and thanks.

Hi, I live in Central Florida. I could tell you the name of the lake
but then I would have to kill you ;-)

Seriously the lake is private with no public access and is a real gem
in the city. It has so much bait fish and life in it that it amazes me
that such a nice lake could be in the hart of the city.

In my first post I forgot to mention that I also noticed a large
school of shad coming my way. They where getting chased my direction
by the large white birds and gar so I got the cast net ready and when
I saw a few flashes in the water I let the net fly again, blew the
cast and the net only half opened. I pull it in and it is filled with
shad. Must have been over 60 in the net. It was one of those days when
I just could not miss. Even with a bad cast the net still gets filled.

What an amazing morning!

Later, DC

--
Dale Colemam