So. Classic 2004 Rules

Old December 16th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Joe Haubenreich

Default So. Classic 2004 Rules

Moe sent me a list of rules for April's Okeechobee event, and we finally got
them up on the site. They're at http://moebassguide.com/rules.html.

I'll post fair warning now... the ODF will be afloat (Adrift? Awash?) on Big
O for this event. It may not look like much, with more patches than paint,
and it's hard to tell from it shape which end is bow and which is stern, but
as a few of you might recall, it lurched and smoked its way to victory in
the first ROFB Mid-TN Classic. Somehow; Bob Rickard was able to pause from
his bailing duties long enough to snatch a winning stringer from Percy
Priest Lake and took big fish honors to boot.

The next two years, the trusty ODF suffered a few slight engine problems
that reduced its range and speed. (Bob's gotta be wondering how much it
could have been reduced, since we never left sight of the ramp the first
year.) Ol' Smokey seems to have worked out most of its kinks now. I still
have to stretch a loop of baling twine over the shifter lever to keep it
from popping out of forward as I plow down the lake, but I've got most of
the other problems licked.

In this group, we sometimes use nautical, technical expressions like "knots"
and "pitch." Not with Ol' Smokey. When you talk about knots and pitch in
this context of Ol' Smokey, you gotta think "pine." This year I've started
fueling up with a higher grade of pine knots that burn cleaner and leave a
nice, tangy aftertaste in the haze. I'll let you in on the secret.... yellow
pine roots... dripping with pitch! I have a hunch this should be effective
on pre-dawn Florida mosquitoes, too. And talk about range! Most boats are
limited to the size of their gas tanks. Not me, boy.... If I run through my
supply of pine knots, I can just break off chunks of wood from trees
overhanging the lake and make it back home.

Now, Okeechobee may pose a fuel source problem, since the banks are guarded
by wide bands of snake and gator-infested swamps. I may have to just convert
to a kerosene/turpentine fuel mix for this trip and hope for the best.

Since Moe has opened the bidding to fish with him, I guess it would be
proper for me to open the bidding for who will NOT fish on the ODF with me
this year. Fritz.... Sean.... do I hear $50?

--
Joe Haubenreich
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old December 17th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Sean Barton

Joe, I'd pay fifty TO fish with you again. The stories and laughter would
be more than worth it!! Instead of contributing gas money I guess I would
have to bring my own wood for the ODF eh? Do you think she would run any
better on Northern Red Pine or Spruce?

Old December 17th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Bob Rickard

Joe, you always wanted to know what I put in your fuel that finally got Ol'
Smokey tooling along so smoothly at the end. Well, I will now confess:
First, It was all the left-over juice and onion shreds from that big can of
hot Serrano peppers that I devoured all day. Finally, remember how you
preached the sanctity of the water purity on Priest when I wanted to relieve
myself, and you told me to just hold it. Well, I lied later when I told you
I did! Sorry.

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old December 17th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Charles B. Summers

Water purity on Priest??? That's a good one!

Our water is filtered by the kidneys of the drunk. It also has a pleasing
effect on the fish starting around the first of June. By nightfall...
they've all got a little buzz and are easier to catch. You can see them
hanging out near the surface with their gills flared, just sucking in that
residual alcohol...

Old December 18th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Bob Rickard

Wow! That's one more fantasy destroyed.
--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast) wrote in
message ...

Old December 20th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Jim Laumann

Joe

Wish I could attend this event - I'd love a chance to
fish in the ODF w/ you Joe. I'd really like to see what
you did to it.....

Jim

Old December 24th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Fritz Nordengren

Sorry Joe, won't be there this year. Bring it to Tenn when I come down
and we can swap boats for a day.