Salmon Fishing

Old September 30th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Jon Foster

Default Salmon Fishing

Guys, stupid question... I need to learn how to Salmon fish. They are
running strong here in Michigan and I need to learn how to do it so I can
take my oldest daughter out and hopefully catch one. I only fish on a rare
occasion and never catch anything but sun fish. I'm looking for the A to Z
education. Are there any good web sites to start with? How about gear too?

Thanks, Jon.

Old September 30th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Pepperoni

Where are you, Jon? Location dictates the method. My favorite spots are
Harrisville and Oscoda. Both are over-run with "sportsmen" fishing
shoulder-to-shoulder. You will notice that 1/4 mile up the beach, the beach
is deserted. (the fish don't notice) At Harrisville, especially, a short
walk will bring seclusion and peaceful fishing. I prefer 30# Ande Midnight
mono, but have switched to spiderwire because of zebra mussels. I use large
heavy spoons and a 12 foot salt water rod. Other folks prefer to bait fish
with small trebles and skein (membrane) eggs just off the bottom under slip
bobbers. The bottom is sand at Harrisville. You will also find the
occasional lake trout there, and if you watch the shallow water near the
harbor, you will see some nice browns hiding under the beached boats and
cruising the shallows.

If you get up the Au Sable, you will find most folks snagging. (illegal) You
will also find parking problems and rude folks , especially around the Foote
Dam and Van Ettan creek. Harrisville is better, but using metal spoons, you
will still occasionally foul hook a fish. (snagging is still widely
practiced off the north breakwater;take your hip boots) and also heavily
patrolled by the DNR, especially at night. As I said, 1/4 mile north is a
peaceful, nearly deserted sandy beach. The fish will run back and forth
along a drop-off about 6 feet deep and maybe 30 feet from the beach.

Farther to the north, find Hammond Bay Yacht Refuge on your map. I don't
think salmon school there, but large schools of northerns move into the
weedy protected harbor and readily take lures. You can fish off the docks.
It is a federal radio station and weather station. I've never seen any one
else fishing there--- they are all off chasing salmon in the nearby rivers.
(Black and Ocqueoc)

I can't help much on the west side of the state.

Remember, these are chinooks. The smallest you will see are 8 pound jacks,
the rest average over 25 pounds with 45+ possible. Set your drag loose
enough to bow your rod, but not so tight as to allow the rod to be snatched
away. Never leave your rod unattended. I see them lost every year to fish,
and to riverside thieves. Tie it down if you must set it down.

Pepperoni

Old September 30th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Jon Foster

Thanks for the reply Pepperoni. We're in White Lake, MI (just West of
Pontiac out M-59). I don't mind traveling a little to go fishing either.
It's just another excuse to go camping and hunting! I'll look up the area's
you mentioned and see if I can make it work out...

Thanks again, Jon.

--
Come visit us on the web!
http://www.largescale-trains.com

Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:37 PM
Bob Askey

"Jon Foster" wrote in message ...
Guys, stupid question... I need to learn how to Salmon fish. They are
running strong here in Michigan and I need to learn how to do it so I can
take my oldest daughter out and hopefully catch one. I only fish on a rare
occasion and never catch anything but sun fish. I'm looking for the A to Z
education. Are there any good web sites to start with? How about gear too?

Thanks, Jon.

If you can get good information and find your way to fishing for these
Salmon that would be great. Another great method of learning and
finding where to fish is to hire a license fishing guide. Licensed as
in has all the insurance actually does it for a living not some want
to be guide.

Many people who never fish and hear and would like to fish for Salmon
find a guide. This is an especially good way to learn. I have a
friend who guides he has taken a lot of people who have no clue on how
to catch salmon. Many buy junk equipment because it is something they
hardly ever do. Junk equipment will not in most cases do the job.
You will catch fish but not very often. With a guide, if they are
good at all, will have good equipment and years of experience. My
friend has taken people out who have tried on their own but never did
any good.

If this is a one time thing hire a guide and avoid buying equipment
you will never use again. Equipment is very expensive and a guide
makes sense. If this is something you plan to pursue on a regular
basis a guide is still good and ask what equipment to buy etc.

My self I met people that do a lot of fishing and was lucky enough to
learn from them. You can do this to if you know such people.

Bob