What about shimano vs abu garcia?

Old November 20th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Rob

Default What about shimano vs abu garcia?

I've heard that the abu reels are also very reliable and borderline
indestructible... Looks like Cabe**'s has some really good deals on
those as well..

Thanks!
Rob
Old November 20th, 2004, 08:00 PM
AJH

I think Abu reels are very good. Most serious bass fisherman like
Shimano Curado's which are great reels..Abu baitcasting reels imo are a
little harder to learn to use but do a fine job.. they are very easy to
maintain and parts and service is readily available...I would stay away
from the AB and EON models but the C3, C4 and C5 mags are very good
reels, I doubt if you could find a better reel in the $60-$80 price
range. I throw 4 inch weightless senko type baits with a Abu 4600 C3
with out a problem..

Old November 20th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Illinois Fisherman

Calcutta 250 (gold color) is considered suitable for Light Sal****er
fishing. The Calcutta 200 (silver color) is made for freshwater fishing. It
is the same reel the gold is an anticorrosion coating. Having said that -
Abu C3 - C4 - C5 are considered freshwater reels. The larger size 6500 and
7000 are used for both fresh and salt water casting. Confused?

The Abu has a great reputation for reliability and longevity. It's a reel
you can hand down to your children. It is the best bang for the buck. For my
type of fishing - Bass, Walleye, Cat, Pike, and Muskie the C4 and C5 are the
best all around reel you can buy. $75 to $100 new in a store, on Ebay about
50 to 80 new. Used ones go for a little less.

If you want a reel that is going to give you the best it can for less than
$100.00 get an Ambassadeur. You will not regret it.

om...

Old November 22nd, 2004, 12:19 PM
Jack Dalzell

"Illinois Fisherman" wrote in message om...
Calcutta 250 (gold color) is considered suitable for Light Sal****er
fishing. The Calcutta 200 (silver color) is made for freshwater fishing. It
is the same reel the gold is an anticorrosion coating.

This is not the difference, the Calcutta 200 has a die-cast frame,
where as the 250 has a forged frame. Both reels are anodized (the 250
is gold and the 200 is silver).

Just to let you guys know, I'm still around lurking, but having to
post thru google is very time consuming so I'm not too active, but I
do read the post everyday.

Jack
~~
Jack Dalzell
http://www.jdbass.com under construction (destruction?)
~~

Old November 22nd, 2004, 05:51 PM
go-bassn

Hey Jack - did you get my email? I'm ready to talk about your club whenever
you are. Buzz me!

Warren

Old November 24th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Bob La Londe

When I was a kid my dad bought a bunch of Abu Garcia 5000D bait casters for
cat fishing. We had those rigged on some fishing rods that could have
doubled as pool cues. They would cast a 1 oz pancake sinker just fine when
the spool tension was dialed in right. They would occassionaly backlash,
but I don't recall that were very bad. I don't think we were able to get
the casting distance that I can with my Daiwa 150i, but they did a pretty
fair job over all. No magnetic backlash control or anythign like that. My
dad still has a couple of them and they still work about the same as ever
after nearly thirty years. They rarely get serviced.

I have been seriously considering buyng a couple of inexpensive metal round
body Abu Garcias instead on the expensive plastic body Pfluegers, Quantums,
and Shimanos I have now for my new reels next season.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

om...