more puppy drum

Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Default more puppy drum

Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

jennie baird, pamlico jim's significant other, with the largest fish of
the day...about 25".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9010245.JPG
Views:	827
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	395  Click image for larger version

Name:	P9010246.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	396
Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9010247.JPG
Views:	741
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	397
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

the puppy drum limo... well, ok, it's a yugo, but it got me there and
back...

Old September 9th, 2007, 11:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

about 21", i'd cipher. i love these fish. live in pretty places,
strong strikes, even stronger fights...and, they cook up nice!

Old September 10th, 2007, 12:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Old September 10th, 2007, 12:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Old September 10th, 2007, 01:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
daytripper

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:02:28 -0400, jeff wrote:

Looking at the rod, and the size of that fish, that must've been fun to land.

I'll confess I've never fished for these and know nothing about them...but,
are "puppy drum" juvenile Redfish? Or just relatives?

That one looks to be about 22". Is that typical for this time of year?

/daytripper
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

daytripper wrote:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:02:28 -0400, jeff wrote:

Looking at the rod, and the size of that fish, that must've been fun to land.

I'll confess I've never fished for these and know nothing about them...but,
are "puppy drum" juvenile Redfish? Or just relatives?

That one looks to be about 22". Is that typical for this time of year?

/daytripper

puppy drum is the name i've always heard for our redfish. they are the
smaller red drum that, when grown, get to be the 40-60 pound fish folks
catch surf fishing along the ocean beaches and in the deeper holes off
of shoal areas in the pamlico sound and the mouth of the neuse river
where it meets the sound... the puppy drum, like their louisiana
cousins, hang around the salt marsh areas dining on crabs, shrimp, and
small fish. september and october are said to be the best times in nc to
fish for them ...but, though not as plentiful in this size, i think they
can be caught during many of the moderate temp months of the year til
they get big enough for their ocean adventures. they don't hit on top
much, usually feeding on the bottom. but, i was fishing a high tide,
reeling a redfish magic lure from a shoal, across a deeper slough, and
up to a bank when this guy charged up and took it just under the surface
....so i could see it. magnificent, fast and violent take. it was my best
puppy drum catch experience yet just because of the visual part.

we have a one fish per person per day slot limit...has to be between
18-28 inches. i was walking one of the marsh islands when i caught the
one shown by the rod. he put up a great fight. he was much bigger than
the 20 incher shown on the cooler top (which i kept)...i estimated him
at 22-24" they are real bulls and make short strong runs taking line.
i've not encountered a fish that is more fun to stalk and catch on light
spinning tackle. you're missing a real treat in sportfishing. ...and,
they can be caught on a fly rod, though i don't find it the best
approach for my method of chasing them where i go.

jeff
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

my friend joe mcintosh with a nice pd...