Easy Dome Bivvies. Are They??

Old March 6th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Adam

Default Easy Dome Bivvies. Are They??

Hi. I am tempted by an Easy Dome Bivvy. Something like a Fox one-man Easy
Dome. Has anyone had any experiences with them?

The reason I ask, is because even though they go up quickly, they are
totally assembled. This makes me think that they would be a pain to pack
away. If they take a while to pack away, then there in no point in having
an Easy Dome really. I would probably be more suited to a conventional
bivvy, which I can put up and take down in 8 minutes start to finish, and is
smaller when packed away.

What do you guys think?

Old March 6th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Bob

I have both an euro easydome for short sessions (2/3 nights) and a
continental easydome for long sessions and fishing abroad. I pack them
away in a couple of minutes. In winter the material get's a bit stiff but
that seems the same with most of them. They have a inner tent which keeps
out the bugs and prevents the condensation nightmare of single skinned
bivvys. I would not buy the standard easydome as a standard bedchair tends
to push the inner tent against the outer giving condensation problems.

A help to putting them up is to lay a groundsheet which you get as an extra
and peg that down, put up the dome and use the pegs that are in the
groundsheet. This helps in wind. They also have good guy ropes which make
it very secure in wind. I have used mine in real gales without a problem.

Bob

Old March 7th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Adam

Cheers Bob.

I see what you mean about the bedchair pushing the inner lining against the
outer lining.

So, it isn't a problem getting it back in the bag?

Old March 7th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Richard

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi. I am tempted by an Easy Dome Bivvy. Something like a Fox one-man

Easy
Dome. Has anyone had any experiences with them?
snip

You may want to take a look at the Chub Rapid XS 1 man also. A fairly large
one man bivvy. Bedchair will go across bivvy with ample free room each end
or front to back centre apex if you prefer. Also the gap between the inner
and outer shell is larger than on any others I have seen. It has a huge
hydrostatic head, integral groundsheet and has been wind tunnel tested. It
goes both up and down very easily. Here is a link if you are interested in
finding out a bit more.

http://www.chubleisure.co.uk/rapidxs.shtml

Cheers ........ Richard

Old March 7th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Adam

Cheers Richard. I have played with the Chub XS domes, but they don't seem
to pack away that easily.

The hydrostatic head is the same as the Fox One-man Easy Dome if I remember
correctly at about 3500mm.

Old March 7th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Richard

"Adam" wrote in message
Cheers Richard. I have played with the Chub XS domes, but they don't seem
to pack away that easily.

snip

I found the knack is to just make sure you pull the poles in tightly (tight
as you can) this reduces the overall size and then it goes in the bag quite
easily.

Works for me anyway ..... stay well ...... Richard

Old March 15th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Simon Slater

I bought the easy dome early last year and have used it about 6 times. I
have never found any problems with assembly and dissassembly. The bag is big
enough to take the bivvy very easily without much compacting. I paid about
169.00 and its been worth every penny!