OK, who did it........

Old February 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Tim J.

Default OK, who did it........

"JR" wrote...
Dave LaCourse wrote:
Who ever you are, thank you. I am familiar with Enger's writing in "Fly Rod

and
Reel", and "Fly Fisherman". I will enjoy this read, so, again, thank you
whomever you are.

I don't remember sending it, but then again, my memory these days is
shot all to hell. It is just the sort of nice, thoughtful thing I
*would* do, however.... just like me....., so it probably was me,
although, no offense, but I have a feeling, just the shadow of an
inkling, that if it was me, it probably wasn't you I meant to send it
too...... I'm so confused lately. Anyhow, just to be sure, when you
finish reading it, please return it to me, 'cause it sounds like a great
book, and I'd like to read it (if I haven't already, that is), and maybe
seeing it (again?) will jog the
old synapses and I can send it on to the rightful recipient.

JR
(BTW did you get the Audi I sent?)

Now, *that's* funny. POTW material.

Did you also send him a good-looking blonde?
--
TL,
Tim

Old February 20th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Wolfgang

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

Maybe we have a book fairy on ROFF. Let's see, my dream book would

be
Appalachia on Our Minds by Henry Shapiro....

Jan Swammerdam's "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life"........English
translation......please.

Wolfgang
thank you.

Old February 20th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J. wrote:

Now, *that's* funny. POTW material.

Hey ! No fair voting twice, what do think this is Chicago ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old February 20th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Tim J.

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
Tim J. wrote:

Now, *that's* funny. POTW material.

Hey ! No fair voting twice, what do think this is Chicago ? ;-)

Yeah - Outlook Distress took over (again) and made me look like a fool. That
goes for all my other posts, too.
--
TL,
Tim

Old February 20th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Dave LaCourse

Tim J. writes:

Did you also send him a good-looking blonde?
--

She has salt and pepper hair, and he did not send her.

d;o)

Old February 20th, 2004, 07:49 PM
snakefiddler

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

Maybe we have a book fairy on ROFF. Let's see, my dream book would

be
Appalachia on Our Minds by Henry Shapiro....

Jan Swammerdam's "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life"........English
translation......please.

Wolfgang
thank you.

In what language was it first published?

Snake

Old February 20th, 2004, 08:18 PM
William Claspy

On 2/20/04 2:49 PM, in article ,
"snakefiddler" wrote:

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

Maybe we have a book fairy on ROFF. Let's see, my dream book would

be
Appalachia on Our Minds by Henry Shapiro....

Jan Swammerdam's "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life"........English
translation......please.

Wolfgang
thank you.

In what language was it first published?

Dutch, 1675.

We've got an 18th century German version of the Biblia Naturae (Bibel der
Natur), Wolfgang, but I can't send it to you. :-) You're welcome to stop on
your way to Penns and have a look though.

Here's a neat quote from the Dictionary of Scientific Biography (article
author Mary P. Winsor): "Some biographers describe Swammerdam as a mystic,
for he was a follower of a woman who purportedly had spoken with God, and he
saw in the short flight of the mayfly an image of man's own brief
existence."

Bill

Bill

Old February 20th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Wolfgang

"William Claspy" wrote in message
On 2/20/04 2:49 PM, in article

,
"snakefiddler" wrote:

In what language was it first published?

Dutch, 1675.

We've got an 18th century German version of the Biblia Naturae

(Bibel der
Natur), Wolfgang, but I can't send it to you. :-)

Well, I bet you could if you really wanted to.

You're welcome to stop on
your way to Penns and have a look though.

I may just do that. It's possible that I'll be arriving via Asadi's
land yacht. If it turns out that way the logistics might work out.

Here's a neat quote from the Dictionary of Scientific Biography

(article
author Mary P. Winsor): "Some biographers describe Swammerdam as a

mystic,
for he was a follower of a woman who purportedly had spoken with

God, and he
saw in the short flight of the mayfly an image of man's own brief
existence."

Interesting. I ran across a reference to "A Figure of Man's Miserable
Life" in Martin Kemp's "Visualizations: The Nature Book of Art and
Science" (that's "Nature", as in the British scientific journal) a few
months ago. At the time I didn't recall that I'd ever heard of
Swammerdam before. Suddenly, upon reading your excerpt above, I
realize that I had!

Time to do a bit of research.

Wolfgang

Old February 20th, 2004, 08:47 PM
William Claspy

"snakefiddler" wrote:

In what language was it first published?

Dutch, 1675.

We've got an 18th century German version of the Biblia Naturae

(Bibel der
Natur), Wolfgang, but I can't send it to you. :-)

Well, I bet you could if you really wanted to.

Yes, but I like my job and would like to keep it. :-) And there are other
things in that room that I'd probably take first....

You're welcome to stop on
your way to Penns and have a look though.

I may just do that. It's possible that I'll be arriving via Asadi's
land yacht. If it turns out that way the logistics might work out.

Just let me know! A stop on either (or both) ends would be fine. I'll
probably do a half-Penns again this year.

That collection (http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/dittrick/rare.htm, it's across
the street- I can see the building from my window) has a large Darwiniana
collection as well, and I'm going to try to have a display up in our library
of a large number of early 20th century fishing books.

Here's a neat quote from the Dictionary of Scientific Biography

(article
author Mary P. Winsor): "Some biographers describe Swammerdam as a

mystic,
for he was a follower of a woman who purportedly had spoken with

God, and he
saw in the short flight of the mayfly an image of man's own brief
existence."

Interesting. I ran across a reference to "A Figure of Man's Miserable
Life" in Martin Kemp's "Visualizations: The Nature Book of Art and
Science" (that's "Nature", as in the British scientific journal) a few
months ago. At the time I didn't recall that I'd ever heard of
Swammerdam before. Suddenly, upon reading your excerpt above, I
realize that I had!

I enjoy Kemp's columns.

According to the DSB author, the English translation of Ephemeri vita
published in London in 1691 leaves out the "hymns to the Creator" :-)
There's a copy of that over in Madison if you ever get over there.

I have access to the English version (1758) of the Book of Nature- his
drawings of nymphs are *very* cool.

Time to do a bit of research.

Research 'R' Us.

Bill