Surf casting tackle for tuna

Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
[email protected]

Default Surf casting tackle for tuna

I've been introduced to a certain place in the South China Seas where
one can catch tunas of 120 lbs/60 kgs or more from shore (jetty) under
the right conditions (after typhoons). There are only a small handful
of people who discovered this possibility last year, so there's hardly
any local experience or advice to build on. It's sort of a secret.

I'm going back this year, and wonder what sort of tackle I should
bring. Would you advice on a multiplicator or a spinning reel (I'm
familiar with both from salmon fishing here in Norway). I kind of
prefer multiplicators for really big fish, but that requires
monofilament line, right? Braided line and multiplicators don't seem
to go well togeher.

I want to find a reliable, but relatively inexpensive rod/reel
combination that I can leave over there for later (I travel there
frequently). It needs to cast well, but we're not talking monster
distances by any means. Also, how about lures or possibly baits? What
we did last year was casting some locally made plugs (approx 4-5")
and they seemed to work well enough, but the hooks were poorly
mounted. I read that jigs might be good for tuna? I need to stock up
on lures before I go, whithout getting broke in the process. Not sure
exactly what kind of tuna this is, but could find out with a bit of
research. One guy caught one of 120 lbs, but there are even larger
ones jumping within casting distance...!

Kim
Trondheim, Norway