Harbour Wall Mullet - Winter?

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Default Harbour Wall Mullet - Winter?

Hello - as a newbie to sea fishing and this being my first year doing it,
the seasons and the sea are still a mystery to me...so - are mullet to be
found around harbour walls still all through the winter or do they go off
anywhere in particular? I fancy catching some.

More generally, are there any sites other than the world sea fishing one
that tells you what you can catch and where (inshore, rivers, estuaries) at
what times of the year?

I've got a lot of learning to do.

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Bill[_2_]

wrote in message ...
Hello - as a newbie to sea fishing and this being my first year doing it,
the seasons and the sea are still a mystery to me...so - are mullet to be
found around harbour walls still all through the winter or do they go off
anywhere in particular? I fancy catching some.

More generally, are there any sites other than the world sea fishing one
that tells you what you can catch and where (inshore, rivers, estuaries)
at what times of the year?

I've got a lot of learning to do.

http://www.sea-fishing.org/

Is just one of the UK sea fishing sites. It has forums divided into regions
where you can get local advice.

Old November 16th, 2007, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article ,
wrote:
Hello - as a newbie to sea fishing and this being my first year doing it,
the seasons and the sea are still a mystery to me...so - are mullet to be
found around harbour walls still all through the winter or do they go off
anywhere in particular? I fancy catching some.

The last of them will be leaving about now. The temperatures inshore are
getting too low - but don't be surprised if the odd one stays around 'til
Christmas. You'll still find a few among the stranding weed on south coast
beaches looking for slaters for a few tides yet.

More generally, are there any sites other than the world sea fishing one
that tells you what you can catch and where (inshore, rivers, estuaries) at
what times of the year?

Plenty. In general they're all going wrong about now too. Temperature and
food supply dictate large fish movements and the distorted seasons we're
seeing nowadays are making fools of everyone who fishes by the calendar.

In the case of mullet their food supply is largely dictated by available
sunlight (for the algal part of their diet) and their ability to digest food
is controlled by water temperature (as with all fish but mullet have
loooooong guts to permit bacteria to assist with digestion), their
appetite is particularly temperature sensitive.

I've got a lot of learning to do.

Use your eyes. Most times you'll see signs of fish if they're feeding
and if you see fish you can usually work out some way to get a bait to them.

If you can't see fish you can often see the food they're likely to be chasing.

And if not you can always watch other anglers...

If there are other's fishing take note of what they're doing and then:
IF (only if) they're catching plenty of fish, copy them.
IF they're not catching much - try *any method* they're not using.
(Should they begin to catch you can join them but no sense copying
others if they're blanking.)

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/