Northeast Fishing Reports: NY, NJ, RI, MASS, CT, MA and NH Fishing

Old June 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Worldwide Angler

Default Northeast Fishing Reports: NY, NJ, RI, MASS, CT, MA and NH Fishing

Published by TidalFish.com, by John McMurray

Northeast Fishing Reports: NY, NJ, RI, MASS, CT, MA and NH Fishing
Reports: Updated June 7, 2008
Now let’s get on to the reports. Another week of good fishing across
the boards. Still, massive schools ofNew York Fishing Reports, New
Jersey Fishing Reports, Rhode Island Fishing Reports, Connecticut
Fishing Reports, Massachusetts Fishing Reports,Maine Fishing Reports,
New Hampshire Fishing Reports, Northeast Fishing Reports, Northeast
Sal****er Fishing Reports, New York Sal****er Fishing Reports, New
Jersey Sal****er Fishing Reports, Rhode Island Sal****er Fishing
Reports, Connecticut Sal****er Fishing Reports, Massachusetts
Sal****er Fishing Reports,Maine Sal****er Fishing Reports, New
Hampshire Sal****er Fishing Reports, New York Striped Bass Fishing
Reports, New Jersey Striped Bass Fishing Reports, Rhode Island Striped
Bass Fishing Reports, Connecticut Striped Bass Fishing Reports,
Massachusetts Striped Bass Fishing Reports,Maine Striped Bass Fishing
Reports, New Hampshire Striped Bass Fishing Reports, Northeast Striped
Bass Fishing Reports, John McMurray Fishing Reports, Flounder Fishing
Regulations bunker off the Jersey Coast. And in Northern New Jersey
and Lower New York Harbor, a large body of spearing arrived and there
have been really good sized bass on them each morning on the
incoming. Raritan Bay still has very good concentrations of bunker
and those spearing are showing there in the early hours as well. The
good thing about all of this is the bluefish seem to have no interest
in the spearing and are leaving them for the bass. In Jamaica Bay,
things have slowed dramatically. The water got pretty warm, really
fast. One can still catch exceptionally large bluefish on plugs and
flies and the occasional bass of course, but most of the action is on
live bunker. We still have very dense concentrations of them back
there and the big bass are keyed in on them good. Across the Island
and out East, the site-fishing action is heating up and sand-eels are
becoming abundant. Schoolies still seem to be dominating the North
Shore action. Connecticut, particularly the eastern part, seems to be
fishing better by the minute. Rhode Island? Not sure, no official
reports this week, but unofficially I hear the bunker have made their
way up there and the bass are on them good. Some “scary big fish” are
arriving in Mass. Martha’s Vineyard is on fire. And North of Boston
is peaking about now. Weekend looks good. Get on it!

NEW YORK FISHING REPORTS
My One More Cast Charters report is as follows: Unless you like to
live-line, Jamaica Bay isn’t really worth the effort anymore. There
is the occasional bass that can be caught on a fly or plug, but for
the most part, it’s just big-ass bluefish. Livelining Bunker on the
other hand is still producing some hawgs. Out on the ocean side
however, it’s been pretty sick. Every morning for the last 4 days
we’ve had solid bass blitz action and most of the fish are well north
of 30”. The boat traffic is bad though. One would think that the
price of fuel would keep folks off the water, but that dosen’t seem to
be the case.

From the North Shore of Long Island, Bob Giordano checks in with this
report:
Still schoolie central up here on the North Shore. Catching anywhere
from a half a dozen to double digits on early morning moving tides..
Bass taking to Chartreuse/Pink/White clousers in shallow. Some
healthier schoolies moving in, this past Sunday had a few to just over
25". Bright and chunky. Still waiting to come across bunker to dredge
for the big girls. There here, but I haven't been fortunate to come
across them just yet. The Osprey however, attest to there presence.
If I get my gusto up, may wake up like Dracula tonight and fish what
might be an excellent worm hatch. Let you know next week how it goes
if so.Best, Bob

Also reporting from the North Shore is Capt. Robin Calitri from Long
Island Fly Fishing: Dom Berardi took a day off from selling Land
Rovers in Glen Cove to do a bang up job on the blues in Northport on
my CsicAgain. 2 to 4 pound fish are stacked from Huntington Bay to
the Nissiquogue River. They are eating small sand eels so use a
teaser or a small olive over white clouser or deceiver. Don’t miss
this fun! Mitch Bernstein and Emory Butts had wonderful 27 inch
Stripers in Huntington Harbor. Pink sluggos and swim baits were the
best. Jim Del Grosso reports that there are keeper bass on the flats
by Cartwright Shoal and Napeage for the fly rodders. He also reports
that there are tons of blues around Gardiners Island. Samll clousers
on a sinking or intermediate line are the key

East End New York Striped Bass Fishing ReportsFrom the East End, Capt.
Jim Levinson from Double Haul Charters reports great sight-fishing
action. Check it out:Hi John,Sight fishing for stripers out here on
the east end continues to be strong with some exceptional days and
some ho hums thrown in. Tremendous sand eel swarms are keeping the
bass well fed after they have fattened up on bunker in the back bays.
I have seen greater numbers of bigger fish (some legitimate 25lb
bruisers) in the skinny water than I have encountered in past years.
Schools of smaller fish are now dominating, with the sand eels really
appearing in large numbers. Windy weather has hurt us a bit by both
breaking up the bait and making fishing conditions impossible.
Hopefully June and July will be more stable. 7 and 8 wts with long
leaders and sand eel patterns are my choices for anglers. I have heard
that the Montauk spring run is under way with little pressure from
anglers. For those looking for more information on sight fishing the
east end I currently have a feature article in “Fly Fisherman”
magazine on exactly that (with a cover of Bob Clouser holding a nice
Peconic Bay flats striper). It hits the newsstands later this month.
Urban Angler has issues already. Capt. Jim Levison

Captain Brendan McCarthy from Urban Fly Guides reported: Hey John-as
you can see from the photos, The bass fishing has been good for me
lately, and the cool thing as all these fishing here were caught on
small flies on the surface. They are gourging on medium silversides,
with the water tempatures finally getting to the magic 58 degree mark.
Even saw some Sturgeon jumping, which is always a good sign for us in
the NY Bight. The general big fish on big flies and sinking lines
fishing has not quite started yet, but I think it will be soon. Lotta
bluefish around as well but have been harder to find and have
generally been getting them in the shallows and creek in the bay.
mostly poppers as the water has gotten too lettuce-y for alot of sub-
surface fishing. As uaul the weatherman is wrong and I am not out
today because it was supposed to blow. See you out there tomorrow Best
Brendan

NEW JERSEY FISHING REPORTS
Capt. Paul Eidman from Reel Therapy Fishing Charters reported: Hi
John- This week the water got really cold and cleared up here around
Sandy Hook NJ… brought in some nice fish with it for sure!
I even got to spend some time up on my poling platform and spot some
fish on the flats!
Blues, bass it’s all good. Feeding on balled up spearing, taking
everything my guys threw at them.
Paul

Captain Gene Quigley of Shore Catch Guide Service reports: John -
Fishing is on fire. lots of big New Jersey Fishing Reports, New Jersey
Striped Bass Fishing Reports, Striped Bass on poppers adn topwaterbass
mostly on live bunker, we did today start to get some 30 plus pound
fish on plugs and a few in the 15 - 18 lb on the fly. The bunker is
literally everywhere - from the hook to way south of Barnegat inlet.
The fish went on a total feed yesterday - it was NON STOP action for
about 5 hours. Today pretty much the same. I think it is only going to
be a few more days of nice weather and possible a jump in water tem
for these big COWS to start hitting flies regularly. Trust me when I
say we are chomping at the bit to start hitting these fish on the fly
again like last June. In the mean time here is Gary Cordova who took
this nice 41 lber yesterday on a big swimmer and Paul Merwin with a
fattie also taken on a Pajama Swimmer.

CONNECTICUT FISHING REPORTSCapt. Mike Duclos from Tiderunner charter
checks in with this Eastern CT report.
Looks as though we have....

GET THE FULL REPORT ALONG WITH PICTURES AT TidalFish.com (http://
www.TidalFish.com)