Going to Nantucket in mid August, just caught my first Tarpon!!!

Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
gary3594[_2_]

Default Going to Nantucket in mid August, just caught my first Tarpon!!!

I am a relative beginner to fly fishing in general and more so in salt
water. I just caught my first tarpon in Stuart FL using a 12wt but
guide chose most of the rigging.

Going to Nantucket in August with my family and want to try surf or
jetty fishing which there will be no advice from a guide.

I am thinking blues and strippers, correct? I want to take a 9wt and
12 wt and need complete recommendations from the type of line to
leader, tippet, and type and sizes of flies.

I have a 12wt Scientific Anglers Slow Sinking Tarpon line that used on
my recent trip. Can I use this in colder waters or do I need to get a
12wt Stripper line?

In terms of leader, what pound test and length do I need for my 9 and
12 wts respectively?

Do I need a wire tippet? I was thinking of getting the Rio Sal****er
shock tippet in either 60-80 lb test. Can this be used in front of a
16lb test leader?

Is a stripping basket necessary?

As you can see I am a complete novice when having to fend on my own.
Thanks in advance.

--
gary3594
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Ditchrat

As luck would have it I will also be on the island mid august. I
suspect that you will find it difficult to find many fish worthy of the
12wt with out a boat. Its summer and the big fish are down deep. Plus
the island is south of cape, so the water does have some warming going
on.

Your most likely to encounter bluefish and smaller schoolie bass. The
bass are best fished using a 8 or 9wt with an intermediate or sinking
line. The blues will be present and a 8-10wt with a floating line is
best as blues will take surface poppers readily. Not only will the
12wt be no fun, you will be beat from casting it very quickly.

The islands will be covered in small 2-3inch bait that time of year.
If you in schools of bait you need larger flies so they can be picked
out. If you not in schools of bait your flies need to match.

You will need wire for bluefish, but don't expect to catch many bass
when using wire.

On the bright note the bonita will be showing up in droves. Well they
should and thats what I am banking on.

Expect to play with schools and blues and take the bonita as a bonus
opportunity.

Given you rods I would take the 9wt, with an intermediate line and a
full sinking line. A shooting head system would be good, but match it
to your rod before getting one. Leaders, not much need for leaders as
night fishing will be most successful. Straight 12-20lb will work for
much of your fishing, a few 9ft 0x for day fishing or bonita would be a
good idea.

No need for shock leaders, as they will seriously reduce the amount of
fish you hook. Although 8" of 100lb will let you land a bluefish or
two before needing to change it and increase the chance of a stray bass
over wire.

--
Ditchrat