August tournament

Old August 10th, 2009, 01:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default August tournament

Sunday - August 9, 2009 - Day 220

Flint River Bass Club August Tournament - Lake Oconee
Fished 6 AM - 2 PM - water clear to light stain, 85 degree surface
temp
no current, no wind, miserably hot. A bank thermometer showed 103 on
the way home.

I fished with Tom since my boat is still in the shop - hope to get it
back this week. Yesterday one of the local clubs had a buddy
tournament at Oconee - 16 teams, 8 zeros. Winning team had only 6
pounds. Tom fished and had one keeper yesterday - it didn't get any
better today.

We ran to a pocket where Tom has caught some shorts and lost a big
bass yesterday - not a hit as it got light. Fished two more of his
spots and one of mine - nothing.

At 8:30 we came out of a pocket and I felt a thump on the jig head
worm on the point and felt weight - set the hook on a good fish.
Landed it, just over 2 pounds.

After working several more points we went into a pocket and I felt a
hit in a deep brush pile. Set the hook and thought I had a hog until I
realized it had me hung up. The bass came loose and it was a keeper.
Two in the live well at 11:00.

At noon I got hit in some brush and landed a 12 inch throwback.

We kept fishing points and brush until 2 but no more hits. At weigh
in one guy had four that went just over 6 pounds and won, and his 2.7
pounder was big fish. I got second with 3.6 pounds and my 2.2 was
second big fish. Took only 2.15 for fourth. We had four zeroes out of
11 fishermen.

Fishing has got to get better some day!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old August 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Ronnie" wrote in message
[...]

It really bites when you can't fish from your own boat, doesn't it? When I
first moved to Tennessee, I left my boat in Wisconsin with a friend. I was
going to be filming in Ontario and didn't see the need to tow the boat south
almost 800 miles, then in a couple of weeks, tow it back north. So I was
boatless for over two weeks.

I have made a friend here in the area, and I've fished twice from his boat
now and it's definitely different. It was nice not to have to worry about
boat control, but by the same token, it drove me nuts not to be controlling
the boat. I was at the mercy of Roger and how/where he wanted to fish. I
did all right, but all the time, I kept thinking, "We should be over there,
We should spend a little more time here, We're moving too fast," and on and
on.

Now that I have my boat home, I've been out and fished my own style and
locations, and have done a lot better.

There was a tournament this past Saturday on Kentucky Lake near my home. I
only fished from 7 til noon, but caught spots, largemouth and a smallmouth.
I weighed the fish in the boat and actually caught enough fish that I could
have culled. I went back to the landing for the weigh-in and with the
weight of my five best fish, I think I would have taken third place.

The guys I talked to were all fishing deep using shaky heads and Carolina
rigs. I caught all of my fish shallow using Secret Weapons, wacky rigged
stick baits and flukes.

Good job on the second place finish.
--
Steve Huber