Penn 209 Reel

Old October 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
James[_2_]

Default Penn 209 Reel

Hi Group, I just acquired a Penn 209 and have a question. When I
release the the reel to free spool (cast) shouldn't it stop free
spooling when you turn the handle? All my other reels are spinning
reels and this is the first conventional reel I've owned. Thanks, Jim

Old October 19th, 2009, 02:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"James" wrote in message
news
Hi Group, I just acquired a Penn 209 and have a question. When I
release the the reel to free spool (cast) shouldn't it stop free
spooling when you turn the handle? All my other reels are spinning
reels and this is the first conventional reel I've owned. Thanks, Jim

If I recall the Penn 209 is is a swing lever. Most of those have to be
manually re-engaged. I could walk out in the shop and look but I'm tired.
I've been fishing all day. That reel is a little large for bass fishing
IMO. I have a couple for cat fishing.

Old October 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
James[_2_]

Bob La Londe wrote:

"James" wrote in message
news
Hi Group, I just acquired a Penn 209 and have a question. When I
release the the reel to free spool (cast) shouldn't it stop free
spooling when you turn the handle? All my other reels are spinning
reels and this is the first conventional reel I've owned. Thanks,
Jim

If I recall the Penn 209 is is a swing lever. Most of those have to
be manually re-engaged. I could walk out in the shop and look but
I'm tired. I've been fishing all day. That reel is a little large
for bass fishing IMO. I have a couple for cat fishing.

Thanks for the reply. I actually picked it up for salmon fishing.
You're right. I stopped by the local Cabela's and looked at a new one.
I should have done that before I posted, another senior moment I guess.
I keep having them more often. I was going to post to the
rec.outdoors.fishing.sal****er group but there's not much happening
there. Jim