Backwater #33 (Fun Fishing)

Old June 21st, 2010, 08:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Backwater #33 (Fun Fishing)

The bite was slow this time. I got bit on everything I threw except a blade
and a spoon. I just only got one or two bites on each thing. I started out
dead sticking a home made soft jerk bait. I got a couple bites and boated
one on it. That was it. Later I tried waking it like I did last time I was
out there, but never got a rise on it. The old Sproe frog worked ok with a
squeaker and a two pounder and one or two other rises on it, but nothing to
write home about. A lipless crankbait borrowed from my fishing partner put
one more in the boat, but just another squeaker.

We had seen bait being pushed to the surface in one area and spent some time
on those fish, but never connected with any of them. Even my trusty
Kastmaster failed to connect.

Finally I picked up a torpedo I'ld bought with Backwater #33 in mind. Only
two hits. A 4+ took the bait as it was about to hit the water. He came out
of the water after it jumping 2-3 feet in the air and doing a complete flip
and a half. It was an awesome sight, but I only felt pressure for a
fraction of a second as he went back into the water before my bait came
unstuck.

A little later I managed a 3+ on the torpedo within a foot or so of where I
had caught the 2 pounder on the frog earlier. Sitting between two grass beds
just off shore.