Puffer Fish or Blow Fish

Old February 1st, 2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
[email protected]

Default Puffer Fish or Blow Fish

Beware. On a recent kayak-fishing trip to the Sea of Cortez, Baja,
Mexico, near Bahia de Los Angeles, my wife's Russian mother died of
puffer fish poison. We all ate the meat of the fish (not knowing that
such poisonous fish existed there). My mother in law also made a soup
of the heads and livers, which apparently is a tradition in some parts
of Russia). We all drank some of the soup as well, but apparently (we
don't know for sure) only she actually ate a liver. She died a violent
death within 30 minutes of eating it. The rest of us were fine. We
were on a remote beach miles from anywhere so there was no chance to
get help in time. In any case, there is no known antidote.

The fish was brownish in color, similar to the local small sea-bass
that we usually caught there. One tell-tale sign of the fish we ate
was the odd, fused teeth, which appear almost human. Also, the fish
may puff up while being caught.

Old February 1st, 2007, 04:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Calif Bill

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Maybe you should buy a book on fish identification. Puffer fish are all
over the world in Temperate waters.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Musashi

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Being Japanese I can tell you alot about Puffers.
Sorry to hear of your terrible situation, but most sal****er fishermen in
the US
I've met were aware of tetradotoxin in blowfish. As a general rule you
shouldn't eat
puffers in any warm waters. Tropical waters are the worst.
In the US Northeast where Northern Puffers are caught in the summer off Long
Island
they are eaten because in the northern colder waters the toxin level is so
low that you'd
have to eat a couple hundred before you had to worry.
Those porcupine fish and similar burrfish in tropical waters are also very
poisonous.
Parts of the entrails are where the toxin is most concentrated.
The first sign of poisoning you'll notice is that your lips will start going
numb soon after
eating.
Musashi

Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein

Almost all puffer fish have poisonous skins and barbs. Great care must
be taken when preparing them and they must be skinned. Organs are a no
no. Never eat unknown flora or fauna unless starvation is an isssue.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
daytripper

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:09:42 -0500, Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin
Changstein wrote:

[...]

"Poison...poison...poison....tasty fish!"

Simpsons Season 2 Episode 24 "One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish"
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Allen

Yea right that's the ticket..B.S. for sure.... you just want to see yourself
in print.
You want more to eat? I can get it for you here in Florida... Only takes 15
min to die..
with the puffers from here....won't hurt as much...

ups.com...

Old February 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM
kartlonbaugh kartlonbaugh is offline
Junior Member

The fish is brown, similar to Fang Xiaohai bass we usually caught there. No one told as a sign of the fish we eat surprisingly, fusion of teeth, which appear almost human. In addition, fish can be sprayed up and be captured.