Safe Light

Old December 24th, 2006, 05:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Safe Light

For you tournament fishermen - what is "safe light?" I think it is an
opinion - usually the Tournament Director's opinion - not a time. Why
not just set a time?

The major problem I see, especially in club tournaments, if you say
"safe light" you put it on the tournament director, another club
member, to say when it is safe. What if there is an accident? Doesn't
that open him up for all kinds of lawsuits?

I have been tournament director in my clubs many times and I insist the
club set a time, that way it is on the club and our insurance covers
everyone. I can make a decision if the fog is bad or something else
makes us delay, but I want the club to set a time. Really not that hard
to do.

What do you think?

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old December 24th, 2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Ronnie wrote:
For you tournament fishermen - what is "safe light?" I think it is an
opinion - usually the Tournament Director's opinion - not a time. Why
not just set a time?

I prefer 'safe light'. I HATE sitting around waiting until some
prescribed time comes along so the @#@#$ tourney can start. When
everyone's in the water and you can see enough to run on plane. Go, dammit!
Old December 24th, 2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Interesting - I have had the exact opposite problem. If I know an exact
time I can plan accordingly - if not I have to be early and wait until
someone decides. I have been let go way before what I thought was safe
in some tournaments so I have to be early and wait.

We had a real problem in a club one year. The tournament director
tended to run late so safe light was when he got there and got his boat
in the water. We broke him by having the president of the club declare
he was late and it was safe light and leaving him on the bank. He then
had to find someone in the club and check in before starting to fish.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about. com

Old December 24th, 2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now

On 24 Dec 2006 08:37:06 -0800, "Ronnie"
wrote:

For you tournament fishermen - what is "safe light?" I think it is an
opinion - usually the Tournament Director's opinion - not a time. Why
not just set a time?

The major problem I see, especially in club tournaments, if you say
"safe light" you put it on the tournament director, another club
member, to say when it is safe. What if there is an accident? Doesn't
that open him up for all kinds of lawsuits?

I have been tournament director in my clubs many times and I insist the
club set a time, that way it is on the club and our insurance covers
everyone. I can make a decision if the fog is bad or something else
makes us delay, but I want the club to set a time. Really not that hard
to do.

What do you think?

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

I don't think it should be an opinion. I think a time should be set.
In today's society of lawsuits I can certainly see your point of
setting a time where visibility is good. On the other hand if people
want to make it a safe light they should sign a waiver and go anytime
after an agreed upon checkin time.

I have poor low light vision and have seen what I call some pretty
poor safe light decisions made.

Merry Christmas

Dan

Remove the x for e-mail reply
1996 HD Sportster 1200S. N9JBF. Bass fishing Aficionado!
www.outdoorfrontiers.com www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old December 24th, 2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Ronnie" wrote in message
oups.com...
For you tournament fishermen - what is "safe light?" I think it is an
opinion - usually the Tournament Director's opinion - not a time. Why
not just set a time?

The major problem I see, especially in club tournaments, if you say
"safe light" you put it on the tournament director, another club
member, to say when it is safe. What if there is an accident? Doesn't
that open him up for all kinds of lawsuits?

I have been tournament director in my clubs many times and I insist the
club set a time, that way it is on the club and our insurance covers
everyone. I can make a decision if the fog is bad or something else
makes us delay, but I want the club to set a time. Really not that hard
to do.

What do you think?

I run Yuma Pro Am, and I know all the other local tournament directors. We
all call it safe light. Nobody for the smaller or even mid size tournaments
sets a fixed time for launch. I know for Yuma Pro Am i'll launch us earlier
if everybody fishing as a baoter that day is somebody I trust and its only 5
or 6 boats. If there are more than that or there is a new boater I have
never fished with I'll wait until I can see details on the far bank of the
river across from the marina. I prefer to have that flexibility.

We tend to socialize if there is a delay anyway. Actually most of the guys
tend to get there early anyway.

I agree that some directors may launch way to early in some conditions. I
fished in a fog one day. I had confidence in my ability to run the river
safely in the fog until I turned around and saw a boat with no lights coming
up my rear. (Not my tournament)

I also wish tournament directors would enforce lights on more consistantly
until sunrise. There are a couple local directors that do not. I almost
hit somebody who decided to pass me on the right along a brush line.
Fortunately I had a water ski prop on the boat that day and was able to slam
the throttle and shoot past them by only a few feet. I know they got wet
from my rooster tail.

If somebody INSISTS on knowing what time I tell them what time official
sunrise is, and then I tell them that safe light is usually about 15-20
minutes before that. I also let them know if conditions are clear it may be
a little earlier or if they are foggy it will be later. I always reccomend
that they are on the water and ready to go atleast 30 minutes before sunrise
so they won't be late, because we won't wait for them.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old April 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM
robertjackman robertjackman is offline
Junior Member

I also hope that the Tournament Director will meet the more lights, until sunrise consistently. There are some who are not local administrators. I almost hit people who decided on the right along the bank of a brush. Fortunately, I was that day, and successfully slam the throttle and pull in front of them a few feet of the boat ski boat propellers.