Sal****er FF in the Dominican Republic

Old February 26th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Wolfgang Kueter

Default Sal****er FF in the Dominican Republic

Hello,

I've plans to go on holiday to the DR probably in/somewhere near Punta Cana.
It will be mainly a family holiday with sunbathing and swimming (especially
for the girls) but I have the idea of bringing my fly rod. I searched the
web and groups.google.com and hardly found anything really helpful,
fly-fishing seems either to be very uncommon on the island or a well kept
secret among those who know. I'm aware that in the big tourist centers
chances for fly fishing will be poor but nevertheless maybe someone has
tried it on the island.

So here are my questions:

What about areas less crowded by tourists than Punta Cana, how does the
south coast between Punta Cana and Santa Domingo look like? Is it fishable?

What about hiring a small boat from locals? Is that possible? What about
prices? Are guides availiable? What about the language? Any chance to get
in contact with the locals using English language?

I promise to write a trip report if I get some helpful answers, that help me
catch some fish over there.

Thanks Wolfgang
--
A foreign body and a foreign mind
never welcome in the land of the blind.
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Fly fishing in the Carribean can be quite a challenge for a number of
reasons.My experiance has been on the islands of Aruba and Barbados ,I
have not been to Punta Cana but Iam sure that all things being equal you
will find that there are a few things that might help you prepare for
your trip...There will probably not be any local knowledge of fly
fishing and I seriously doubt that you will find a fly shop.Take along
all that you need to fish ,rod,reel,lines,flies,tippet etc.Basically
you'll want to scout an area that has some sort of structure,jetties and
shallow reefs are a fine place to find fish.The wind can be relentless
,try to adjust to it.A stripping basket can be helpfull on sharp coral
jetties ,wear sandals or some sort of foot wear..Keep in mind that its
your first trip to the island ,so ask questions, find out where the
locals fish..Most of all make it fun.. Hope that maybe you'll catch
the fish of a lifetime .. JC