Humminbird Smartcast Fishfinder

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:26 AM
Dan the Hutt

Default Humminbird Smartcast Fishfinder

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try replacing the watch battery.

I also received these hints from Humminbird, which you may wish to
experiment
with:
"Dear sir, Try replacing the battery in the watch with the extra one that
came
with it. Also We have found that a drop of soapy water (5-10% solution of
dishwashing liquid like joy or ivory and water) on the bottom of the RSS,
right in front of the wet switch pins, helps depth performance greatly. Just
rub it around a little with your finger to wet the bottom surface."

Dan the Hutt
---------------------------

"sandman" wrote in message ...
I have the wrist watch one and only if I cast too far (beyond the range) I
would I lose the signal.
Other then that it works pretty well (from shore/boat/canoe..heavy waves
too). What get's exciting is when the alarm goes off and you see the
buggers sitting down there in the clear water. Catching the fish is a

whole
different story.
I was away for almost 2 months from fishing and the last time I check, my
battery was dead. Perhaps I left it on in my fishing jacket from my last
trip. Put in a new one and it was ok. Tried a new battery?

ST

"Dan the Hutt" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Are there any Smartcast owners experiencing problems with their

fishfinder?
http://www.humminbird.com/hb_Products.asp?ID=282

I purchased my smartcast ~3 months ago and have used it intermittingly

for
less than 2-3 hrs powered on (out of water and wrist watch off when not

in
use.). The wireless connection seems intermittent; when placed in the
water the transducer and display won't talk to each other (motor running

or
off.). Often, like today, the system would work for about 2 seconds and
then freeze. If I give the transducer a little tug with the fishing

line,
it
would come on for a few seconds. It seems like water mays be in the
transducer unit or perhaps the water temperature is a factor. After

about
5
mins of alternatively powering the watch up and down and lifting the
transducer out of the water (1-3 feet away with direct line of sight
established), the system begins to function and continues to function

until
I turn it off.

My boat has resistor plugs and the system has worked fine in the past so

have discounted interferance. The transducter and display are both

stored
carefully in a cool dry location and there is no chance of it remaining

on.

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem? (Oh I am asking the
newsgroup because Humminbird doesn't respond to my questions.)