Tampa fishing

Old January 25th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Sully

Default Tampa fishing

In March I am planning a trip to the Fort Meyers area to watch some
Spring Training baseball and would like to so some shore/surf/harbor
fishing while there.
I have never done this type of fishing being a MN guy. Does anyone have
any advice for this novice? Places, baits, whatever would be appreciated.
Sully in MN

Old January 25th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Pepperoni

Man, are you ever gonna have *FUN*!!!! Take your heaviest rod and maybe a
lighter rod that you like to cast. I hope you're a bait fisherman so I
don't have to explain everything. I prefer live shrimp (dead are ok, too)or
frozen squid. Buy the squid in the grocery stores--- it is much cheaper.
(frozen) The squid holds the hook best and anything will eat it. The shrimp
is more delicate, but the fish will fight over it.

Florida caters to sportsmen. They build catwalks under most of the bridges
(they have a lot of them, too) for easy access. They also have lots of
fishing piers and parks too. When they build new bridges, they often leave
the old one along side for public fishing.

Did I say you're gonna have *FUN*? Every time you cross a bridge, you'll
likely see 2-3 cars pulled off and people fishing. The tackle shops give
good advice, usually. Just drop a shrimp (or 1/2 shrimp, if they're big) or
a chunk of squid down alongside the pilings and hang on. Don't walk off and
leave your rod unattended... it will go hopping off into the ocean. Tie it
down always. A clamp on rod holder is useful, the walkways have wooden
railings. The spade type is good for sand.

Some folks like to walk the canals with spinners and jigs and sight fish for
snook. I don't like to work that hard. Bait for me. Don't forget night
fishin'.

Watch out in Tampa. They have a wacky sport there called Jai Alai. When
those people get out they drive like maniacs. Just pull up and let them go
past. 15 minutes and the streets will be quiet again.

Places? anywhere there is ocean. I like deep dark water on the theory that
big fish like deep dark water. Problem is that half the time, the water is
so clear, you can see down 40 feet. The tides will move the water and
you'll soon adjust to that. Just pretend you're river fishin'.

Uh..... I guess I should remind you to take your bass plugs. (on the off
chance you get tired of salt water fishin') Florida has some monster bass
and they get mean in that hot water.

Good luck. Post some pictures for us.

Pepperoni

Old January 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM
joe

In article , Sully
wrote:

In March I am planning a trip to the Fort Meyers area to watch some
Spring Training baseball and would like to so some shore/surf/harbor
fishing while there.
I have never done this type of fishing being a MN guy. Does anyone have
any advice for this novice? Places, baits, whatever would be appreciated.
Sully in MN

Ft. Myers is probably different than Tampa. I could provide more
specific info for the Tampa area but not so for Ft. Myers. In general
though on Florida's west coast from even north of Tampa down, where
water temperatures are typically not too cold most of the year there are
many options.

You can find many areas to wade, and there are those areas near Ft,
Myers. Piers are also an option. And as you note, surf fishing.

You can use live bait in all of these areas or artificials while wading
and possibly while surf fishing. The pier would favor soaking baits.

As always, if you want the best results for a short period of time you
should consider a guide. You may get lucky but I have personally
experienced as I have heard from others that have fished an area for
months and not figure it out. Fish are abundant on the Florida coast so
your odds are good but getting to the spot with the right equipment and
terminal tackle will increase your odds.

I know of a good guide near the area and if he is not close enough he
may be able to recommend someone closer to your exact location. Capt.
Butch Rickey on the BarHopp'R http://www.barhoppr.com out of Pine
Island.
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Smorgass Bored

I got distracted and posted this reply to the wrong thread... sorry
=A0=A0Go to the bridge that goes from Sanibel to Captiva Islands and
park on the east side before crossing over. Park off to the right of the
road and walk over to the left side for beach fishing. You can get an
inexpensive yellow floating bait bucket and some live shrimp. Tie a
piece of string or rope to the handle and tie on a piece of brick (often
found there along the road) and toss that in the water to keep your bait
bucket close to the beach and in the water. Look for seashells while
waiting for something to bite. I think those two islands are the two
best seashell collecting islands of the in the U.S.

Doug
~*((( Big fish eat Little fish )))*~

=

Old January 28th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Ray or Bobbi Adams

Sounds like where i fished when i lived in Ft. Myers, escept there is no
bridge from Sanibel to Captiva, you must mean the Sanibel Causeway Bridge.
On the right is the boat ramp and i fished under the bridge on the ramp side
for Tarpon, snook.
Ray

Old January 30th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Sully

Thanks to all; Pepperoni, Doug, and Smorgass bored! I don't have any
heavy duty spinning gear, but I do have Muskie gear Probably not a
good idea. But I would pick up a larger spinning outfit, no problem.
Same with tackle, whatever. Any advice on what kind of spinners and jigs
to cast? I am familiar with plenty of bait fishing; afterall this is MN,
walleye country! But most of out bait is live bait.
With bait fishing of piers or near bridges, do you fish bottom?

Last summer a buddy and I were fishing on Lake Oahe in SD. Fishing was
pretty tough and the next morning we go into a bait shop for more
minnows. I tell my buddy: "since we didn't do so good yesterday, it's
obvious I need more tackle". He says something to the owner about me not
being able to lift my jig tackle box now, and he's gonna throw more lead
in there? May have to buy another tackle box.

Pepperoni mentioned walking and sight fishing for snook. Are they in
shallow in March? Sounds like fun. What else can a guy expect catch with
the types of shore fishing I mentioned? Probably bring my waders?

Thanks to you guys for the info
Sully

Old February 6th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Smorgass Bored

Ray=A0or=A0Bobbi=A0Adams said:
Sounds like where i fished when i lived in Ft. Myers, escept there is no
bridge from Sanibel to Captiva, you must mean the Sanibel Causeway
Bridge. On the right is the boat ramp and i fished under the bridge on
the ramp side for Tarpon, snook.
Ray

(*~ I think that I meant Marco Island. I get my islands mixed up...

and, my medicines.. imo

Doug
~*((( Big fish eat Little fish )))*~

=

Old February 10th, 2005, 07:57 AM
A.C.

If you fish by the boat ramp on the Ft. Myers beach side you save yourself
$12.00 in tolls. Fishing Ft. Myers beach on a high tide with artificials
works pretty good too. I use ultralight to light spinning tackle. If you can
afford it, you might want to consider hiring a guide and going out on a
charter for a day. And don't forget that license! Don't let anyone sell you
a Snook permit during March or April as the season is closed then and they
are only catch and release.

http://marinefisheries.org/

Marco Island is further south of Ft. Myers/Cape Coral ( about 35-40 miles,
closer to Naples) and I'm not too familiar with fishing that area, but I've
heard it can be fun. I live in Cape Coral so I know mostly Estero Bay, Pine
Island Sound, and the Caloosahatchie.
You will have fun though!

-A.C.

Old February 12th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Smorgass Bored

If you fish by the boat ramp on the Ft. Myers beach side you save
yourself $12.00 in tolls. Fishing Ft. Myers beach on a high tide with
artificials works pretty good too. I use ultralight to light spinning
tackle. If you can afford it, you might want to consider hiring a guide
and going out on a charter for a day. And don't forget that license!
Don't let anyone sell you a Snook permit during March or April as the
season is closed then and they are only catch and release.
http://marinefisheries.org/
Marco Island is further south of Ft. Myers/Cape Coral ( about 35-40
miles, closer to Naples) and I'm not too familiar with fishing that
area, but I've heard it can be fun. I live in Cape Coral so I know
mostly Estero Bay, Pine Island Sound, and the Caloosahatchie.
You will have fun though!
-A.C.

(*~ I think that the OP (original poster) might get current
information (and a possible Free fishing trip) by asking his question at
www.FloridaSportsman.com
and click on 'Forums' and then "West Central Florida" (or, whatever area
one might be interested in).
A good friend of mine was invited Free of charge this past Tuesday to
an allday (15 hours) trip 130 miles out to the 'elbow' and caught some
very nice snapper and grouper. He is pictured holding some of his fish
in the thread about 'fishing buddies'..
He also caught about a 5'-6' long 'trumpet fish', but I don't think he
knows how to play it.

Doug
~*((( Big fish eat Little fish )))*~

Old February 17th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Smorgass Bored

If you fish by the boat ramp on the Ft. Myers beach side you save
yourself $12.00 in tolls. Fishing Ft. Myers beach on a high tide with
artificials works pretty good too. I use ultralight to light spinning
tackle. If you can afford it, you might want to consider hiring a guide
and going out on a charter for a day. And don't forget that license!
Don't let anyone sell you a Snook permit during March or April as the
season is closed then and they are only catch and release.
http://marinefisheries.org/
Marco Island is further south of Ft. Myers/Cape Coral ( about 35-40
miles, closer to Naples) and I'm not too familiar with fishing that
area, but I've heard it can be fun. I live in Cape Coral so I know
mostly Estero Bay, Pine Island Sound, and the Caloosahatchie. You will
have fun though!
-A.C.

=A0=A0(*~ I think that the OP (original poster) might get current
information (and a possible Free fishing trip) by asking his question at
www.FloridaSportsman.com
and click on 'Forums' and then "West Central Florida" (or, whatever area
one might be interested in).
=A0=A0A good friend of mine was invited Free of charge this past Tuesday
to an allday (15 hours) trip 130 miles out to the 'elbow' and caught
some very nice snapper and grouper. He is pictured holding some of his
fish in the thread about 'fishing buddies'..
=A0=A0=A0=A0He also caught about a 5'-6' long 'trumpet fish', but I