BASS vs Federation

Old November 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default BASS vs Federation

Anybody else following the latest blackmail from BASS? It just seems to get
worse all the time. No communication, just threats, and shoot now and ask
questions later. IMHO.
http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?ID=1527

Joe Z.

Old November 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Joe Z" wrote in message
Anybody else following the latest blackmail from BASS? It just seems to
get
worse all the time. No communication, just threats, and shoot now and ask
questions later. IMHO.
http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?ID=1527

Joe Z.

Quote:
"The fact is that BASS is now owned by a big company. That's not
necessarily bad, but the thing is, there's never any stability there. People
are either moving up or moving out of the corporate ladder.
I have been a small business owner for many many years. I have done work
(as a subcontractor) for a number of large corporations over the years
Quite often they have tried to railroad me into doing more work or changing
requirements for jobs under threat. This in my opion is exactly what
B.A.S.S. is trying to do to the Federations.

Is a $5 dollar increase a big deal? No I don't think so. What is a big
deal is B.A.S.S. trying to establish a master supplicant relationship with
the Federations and trying to do it through extortion.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old November 21st, 2005, 02:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Joe Z" wrote in message
[...]

Of course in my opinion the Federations in some states have tried to do
exactly the same sort of thing to some of their member clubs. Yuma
Bassmasters dropped its Federation membership over issues like this.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old November 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Joe Z" wrote in message
[...]

So anyway. I am curious if anybody sees the obvious financial implications
of this as it regards B.A.S.S. IMO B.A.S.S. is having cash flow problems at
the very least or possibley having more serious fincial trouble. Havign
seen a number of very large companies go out of business int he past I can
say that it very rarely works to raise prices and make it harder to pay the
bill on time. Especially with a reduction of services or a threat to take
back rewards already earned and paid for. Its a poor business decision IMO.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

In My Personal Opinion:
Its a frigging mess. Its obvious that BASS has failed to make the
kinda big bucks that ESPN is demanding so now in order to improve
things they are trying to railroad the members into ponying up early
and more. Like Bob said, it sure looks like extortion. Worse, I don't
think it will work. The Federations do not work for ESPN or BASS. Nor
do any of the member clubs or the individual members of the clubs. I
don't know about clubs across the country, but of the two affiliate
clubs I have been a member of only a handful of members in each
actually fished Federation tournaments, and even less gave a damn about
BASS. If **** rolls downhill as BASS is trying to demonstrate then the
big stink certainly rises from the bottom. Ultimately Federations
answer to the individual members of the individual clubs in the form of
the club representatives. Its a big mess. There is no benefit to a
rate increase and an increase just because they can't pay their bills
(and their inflated salaries)may blow up in their face. Like what Bob
said about increasing prices strictly to increase revenue has put
companies out of business in the past. Pair this with all the griping
over refusing to allow anglers to promote their own sponsors and I
think they have some serious problems brewing. They have financial
backing, but if this doesn't work then what will they try next year.
Will BASS survive it. I appreciate Wood's position, but in this
case I think he is wrong. Its from the bottom up by way of the anglers
that BASS grew to what it has become and his personal vision, not from
the top down at the dictates of some corporate giant trying to milk the
peasants for every piece of gold they can glean.
Its not the case of a few malcontents trying to stir up trouble.
Its back to back business decisions that will hurt the individual
anglers, and then the Federatiosn and clubs that supported BASS.
Ultimately it will come down to individual members of individual
clubs voting on what to tell their Federation representative to say at
the Federation level. I personally don't get any benefits from BASS
from being a member of a Federation club. I also have an extreme
dislike of anybody who attempts to control me by pure muscle and
threats. If this mess is not settled by negotiation rather than by the
purely brutal extortion that BASS is using I will go so far as to ask
BASS to cancel my life membership and have my attorney contact them
about refunding my money.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"go-bassn" wrote in message
This is an opportunity for some enterprising individual(s) to purchase the
Federation & do things right. Wish I had that kinda cash...

Warren

I don't know Warren. I figured there were only really two benefits to the
Federation. To create a larger local tournament venue, and to provide a
back door into BASS competition.

What would they do? Create their own "BASS"? Personally I would prefer to
see the various state Federations all unite and hold back membership
payments until these issues are settled. By uniformly refusing to pay until
all issues are settled it would place BASS in the position of trying other
ways to deal with its cash flow issues. Right now they are gambling that if
most of the Federations pay up it will leave the others in the position of
also paying up or being left out.

The only real part of it that bothers me is that they would disqualify
anglers who have already qualified. Not cool. Actually pretty chicken
s**t in my opinion.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"go-bassn" wrote in message
[...]

I agree Bob. I feel real bad for South Dakotan Jaimie Fralick who is
supposed to have the Federation Live The Dream free pass to fish the Elites
this year. If this cluster %$^^^ ruins it for him that would be a damn
shame! Joe Z.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

wrote in message
[...]

Hello All,

Don't fish BASS events, in fact don't even fish local club tournaments, but
like to fun fish, and so I joined the local Bass Club to learn more, and be
around people who liked to fish. Made some good friends by doing so. But
what Ma Bass is doing is wrong, and as a Paying BASS member, and local
Federation Member will also not pay the 5 bucks, and like the above will
cancel my membership, and never join BASS again.

So if any members of BASS are reading this and have any influence over
corporate management, I have some suggestions.

Sell Bass back to Ray Scott, if he even wants it. If not find out if the
Federation wants to purchase it, because ESPN is sure screwing up what once
was a pretty good organization. Money seems to rule the roost, but this is
one time, money should not dictate what happens here. Ray Scott is wrong,
because this could kill BASS by loosing 40K members, me being one.

Monty

Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I dunno Bob. With all due respect buddy I think you're ignoring the full
scope of the problem. It's not a BASS issue, it's an ESPN issue. And BASS
is such a miniscule itsy bitsy part of thier company that ESPN wouldn't give
a second thought to dropping the Federation like a hot potato if it became a
hassle. You've already seen them crush the management of the Federation
like an any on your desk. They don't ask questions, they just tell you to
have a nice day.

I feel that there has never been a better time for someone to organize a
grassroots national tournament organization. I also think a group like BFL
could easily overtake the Federation as the #1 tournament focus for
thousands of anglers. ESPN better get serious about the Federation, or the
Federation might be done soon.

Warren