Boat Fishing -=- Help -=-

Old June 28th, 2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea

Default Boat Fishing -=- Help -=-

Steve, don't be silly! The DTI will not allow you to operate marine VHF
with a ham ticket because the marine ticket is just a TAX!!

You'll do well to pick up a copy of a boating mag - say Practical
Boatowner - lots of radio courses in that.

If you have no boat experience you'd do well to take a short motorboat
course as well...the sea is bloody big, very deep and utterly, utterly
unforgiving. Fall off your boat when boating a big catch and you are one
lonely dude!

You can also find RNLI people who come and look at your boat to check you
have the recommended safety gear on board...and it's free.

Do it right and you'll have a lifetime of fun ahead, do it wrong and you'll
have exactly the same...just a much shorter lifetime!

david

"Steve (EI2GYB)" wrote in message
news
How do i go about getting a licence for VHF Marine ??
I am a licenced Ham Radio operator would that not count ?

Where about do you fish ??

Steve
"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Steve (EI2GYB)
wrote:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the fast replys...

The boat is only quite small and seats anout 4 people max !

I have been out and bought life jackets & water proofs
and a pack of flaires & some ores

OK, next get a compass, then a VHF radio and a licence to use it. You
may
think you will only go out in good conditions but it only takes a little
distraction (lots of fish biting) to be caught by a summer fog - or a
minor
problem to delay your return beyond dusk...

I will be looking at fishing on the north coast of ireland in Culdaff
bay
near to the slipway / peir.

You need at least 100m of anchor line in Culdaff bay btw. 200m is better.

Donegal waters are very fishy. Your target species are reasonable, there
should be bass in the area too and flatties. A little farther off there
are wrecks which hold a range of interesting species - this is a clue -
you
do not want to add to the wrecks.

The tides in Culdaff Bay are -strong-. You are sheltered from the SW but
if
the wind veers N of W you are open to full North Atlantic weather. You
*need* local knowledge, find someone who knows those waters to show you
the
basics.

It may be a bit of a trip but if you have a trailer I suggest you
consider
making your first experiments on L Swilly or L Foyle.

Have fun. Cheerio,