Rod Problem Advice needed

Old November 30th, 2006, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Fantom

Default Rod Problem Advice needed

I have a cpl of expensive rods that i brought from ebay. They are both brand
new 2 piece 13ft beachcasters. I cant seem to get the rods to sit right when
i connect them, i end up with a clear 1 inch gap and am unable to push the
rod down any further for fear of it getting stuck. They are clearly supposed
to connect fully, i have a cheaper rod which sits perfectly.

Are they faulty?

TIA

Old November 30th, 2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Cliff

Thats because they are a taper fit,if they came together it would be time to
replace them,dont worry,just get out & use them.
news

Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Fantom

"Cliff" wrote in message
Thats because they are a taper fit,if they came together it would be time
to replace them,dont worry,just get out & use them.

could you just double check that for me by checking the pic iv uploaded of
the actual rod. Appreciate your time.

http://tinyurl.com/y84cuy

TIA

Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Cliff

Thats right,if the two halves come together it will stop the taper from
locking & your tip section will follow your hooks out to sea,as it wears the
2 halves will come closer together,you will then have to rub a candle on the
spigot to beef it up a bit so you can carry on using it. Like I said get out
& enjoy,Blackpool here I come.

Old December 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek

"Fantom" wrote in message

"Cliff" wrote in message
Thats because they are a taper fit,if they came together it would be time
to replace them,dont worry,just get out & use them.

could you just double check that for me by checking the pic iv uploaded of
the actual rod. Appreciate your time.

http://tinyurl.com/y84cuy

TIA

Looks perfect to me that is the normal fit for spigot ferrules. Like Cliff
says when they touch its because the rod is worn out even then you can
shave some off the end of the female side to gain a little more time, don't
think I 've ever had a rod that long tho'

Derek

Old December 5th, 2006, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Fantom

"Derek" wrote in message

"Fantom" wrote in message

"Cliff" wrote in message
Thats because they are a taper fit,if they came together it would be
time to replace them,dont worry,just get out & use them.

could you just double check that for me by checking the pic iv uploaded
of the actual rod. Appreciate your time.

http://tinyurl.com/y84cuy

TIA

Looks perfect to me that is the normal fit for spigot ferrules. Like Cliff
says when they touch its because the rod is worn out even then you can
shave some off the end of the female side to gain a little more time,
don't think I 've ever had a rod that long tho'

Derek

Thanks guys, appreciate the help, feel abit of a numbskull now, but hey..at
least i know now.

cheers

Old December 5th, 2006, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , Derek
wrote:

"Fantom" wrote in message

"Cliff" wrote in message
Thats because they are a taper fit,if they came together it would be time
to replace them,dont worry,just get out & use them.

could you just double check that for me by checking the pic iv uploaded of
the actual rod. Appreciate your time.

http://tinyurl.com/y84cuy

TIA

Looks perfect to me that is the normal fit for spigot ferrules. Like Cliff
says when they touch its because the rod is worn out even then you can

Yes. It's normal. But no, when they touch don't shave anything from the
female ferrule - you'll be removing the reinforcing. Instead build up the
male ferrule with a thin layer of gelcoat resin or two part glue*.
Eventually (after several recoatings) you'll wear through the female ferrule
from the inside and then it's time to look for a new rod.

shave some off the end of the female side to gain a little more time, don't
think I 've ever had a rod that long tho'

A real old favourite is the usual candidate for this level of wear. I've
gone through a couple but I try to make sure they've dealt with a few
thousand fish first.

Cheerio,

* There used to be a special formulation for (coarse, matchfishing) pole
owners to use - they unship and reship their poles repeatedly during a
session and so their ferrules experience excessive wear. Might be worth
asking around if you get that far.

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old December 5th, 2006, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Cliff

If you dont ask you dont find out ;-)
"Fantom" wrote in message

"Derek" wrote in message

"Fantom" wrote in message

"Cliff" wrote in message
Thats because they are a taper fit,if they came together it would be
time to replace them,dont worry,just get out & use them.

could you just double check that for me by checking the pic iv uploaded
of the actual rod. Appreciate your time.

http://tinyurl.com/y84cuy

TIA

Looks perfect to me that is the normal fit for spigot ferrules. Like
Cliff says when they touch its because the rod is worn out even then you
can shave some off the end of the female side to gain a little more time,
don't think I 've ever had a rod that long tho'

Derek

Thanks guys, appreciate the help, feel abit of a numbskull now, but
hey..at least i know now.

cheers

It has removed 0 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!