A day at the cabin

Old April 26th, 2007, 01:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Default A day at the cabin

Yesterday I woke up at 6:00...no alarm, just woke up. I slipped on some
sweats and put the coffee on, did my bathroom chores, and turned the
news on. Decided I didn't really need any news, so turned the tv off,
and opened the front door blinds....the lake is almost exactly 15 feet
from my front door, much better view than the news! Took my coffee and
sat on the front porch, watched the geese herding their goslings along,
and fussing at me for disturbing their morning stroll. I don't know much
about geese, but they looked very intent on what ever it was they were
doing .

I had two rods sitting by the door, and couldn't wait til I finished my
coffee. I took the one with a SR Plastics neon blue worm on it, and
casted vertical up the bank along some toules, a couple casts later a
nice little large mouth obliged my offering....only about a pound and a
half, but on my little Quantum reel and rod with 5lb. test, it is always
a fun experience. A few more casts and a couple more small bass, I
decided to heat the coffee up, and watch the geese some more.

I remembered that I had bought an air filter for the truck, and decided
to put it on. Then I decided to take a walk around the lake...about a
mile and a half walk on the trail. I started to take the rod with me,
but decided that I wanted to "learn" this lake a bit slowly...savor the
"taste" . There are some spots that I really can't wait to try, but I
have a lot of time grin.

After my trek around the lake, I opted for another cup of coffee, but
again, I couldn't resist the urge.....I took the rod with a little
spinner bait on it, and threw it in the same place as the worm offering
earlier. The lure barely touched the water and a bass not much bigger
than the lure came out of the water with it in his mouth....I was happy
when he shook it loose . A couple more small bass managed to hang on
to it, and I decided to re-heat the coffee again .

I haven't completely unpacked, so I put the rods away (right by the
front door), and started some domestic chores. Lunch time found me
thinking less about chores and more about bass, so I made a balongne
sandwich, and pestered the bass again....still nothing over a pound and
a half, and I was thinking about the cypress knees sticking up at the
other end of the lake! But I was still not ready to "use" my lake up too
fast, so I decided to go to town and check my mail, and stop by and see
mom.... a couple of great hours with the family matriarch, and some idle
chatter at the post office and I started thinking about the "lake" again
.

Three O'clock is a bit early for a cold MGD for me, but what the
hell...it's been a good day! After a relaxing sit on the porch listening
to some old Eagles songs on the potable tape player I couldn't help
myself....picked up the rod with the soft plastic on it, and did some
slow stitching retrieves by the rip rap bank off to the left of the
cabin. I was thinking about all the talk about "color" that has been
going on lately, so I decided to switch colors every time I caught a
bass....four colors, four bass . Same presentation, but not exactly
the same type worm. What did this tell me....not much, except it's was a
fun experiment .

Dinner time.....I haven't kept any fish yet, so I had a bowl of chili
. It was getting dark, and the geese were raising hell about
something, so opened another MGD and sat on the porch watching their
antics...then it dawned on me, I think they were "courting"! I have
heard that they mate for life, so I was hoping they got it right the
first time . That took my mind off fishing, and on to other spring
time activities, so I went inside and called this lady friend that I
have been neglecting! Some apologies and sweet talk got me a date
this week-end, and I started thinking that all is well with this world I
live in!

I'm a little tired, so I pick up a book...an old Rod McKuen poetry thing
I just unpacked, and haven't read in years...."Listen to the
Warm"...."Sometimes it's good, to just lay back and listen to the
warm!"!

I'm not a religious man, but I still spell "the Creator" with a capital
"C". And right now I want to thank him for inviting me to participate in
this thing called "life"!

I wish everyone the peace and serenity I am feeling right now!

John K

Old April 26th, 2007, 02:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jim Laumann

John

You relaize you've got me and probably all the other ROFB'er green
with envy - you lucky devil!

Enjoy.

Jim

Old April 26th, 2007, 04:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"John B" wrote in message
[...]

If you ask me, you had a fine and very productive day. You did exactly what
needed to be done.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 26th, 2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

A day at the cabin

(Jim*Laumann)

John
You relaize you've got me and probably all the other ROFB'er green with
envy - you lucky devil!
Enjoy.
Jim
========

Jim, your response got me to thinking....all my life I have wanted to
just have a place where I could fish at my leisure, do some painting,
and write some "bad" poetry . But it may just be a mixed
blessing...like they say, it's the journey that excites the soul, not
the "safe harbor".

Don't get me wrong, I am more than enjoying the moment! But it gives me
a lot of time to reflect on the "journey" also! I have been more than
blessed with a good life so far....I have done things many people only
dream of doing. A sad reminder of one of them was when I learned of the
Blue Angel pilot that died saturday during an air show. I spent four
great years with the team, an experience I will cherish always! I have
visited almost every country that a navy carrier can visit, and have met
people from every walk of life, and almost every culture...what a gift!
I have prospected for gold in the Sierras, jumped out of perfectly good
airplanes, and raced motorcycles on the old dirt tracks....and certainly
not the least, I have known some wonderful and gracious ladies that for
a while, shared their lives with me.....and the gift of the children
surpasses any expectation I might have had when I began that journey!

So, as I sit here and contemplate the "safe harbor"....and I absolutely
enjoy it, I can't help reflecting on the journey, and the joys bestowed
up on me during that "trip"............

So I guess what I am saying is, hold on to the dreams....but much more
importantly, enjoy the journey!

I think I have rambled enough...I think I will go fishing! grin

John K

Old April 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SHRED

Thanks for sharing that John.
It made my morning.

Is this place in AZ?
Old April 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

A day at the cabin

(SHRED)

Thanks for sharing that John.
It made my morning.
Is this place in AZ?
======
I'm still in Kentucky Ted, glad you enjoyed my ramblings .

John