Worst Fishing TV shows

Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike Getz[_2_]

Default Worst Fishing TV shows

The most recent spammer made me remember a fishing show with 2 girls
something like fishing with Courtny and Katie, the taller one would not even
touch the fish, funny stuff...

"Dan, danl" wrote in message
The worst one for me is Waters and Woods with John Gilespie. It's a
regional show and he is from WI. His dad was a well liked TV sports
reporter in Milwaukee for 30 years or so.

The show has great guests that really do know their stuff and can
explain it well.

The problem? John can never let his guests speak their piece without
interrupting them. He shouts the same phrases incessantly! He talks
like an excited 10 year old kid. Some of his guests, when they are
behind him just shake their heads in disgust. His product plugs are
at the point now that he resembles a dog salivating over a female in
heat.

When I see it on cable now, if there is nothing else on to watch, I
turn the volume off on the TV and turn on the radio for music.

Dan

Old March 4th, 2008, 10:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Mike Getz" wrote in message
The most recent spammer made me remember a fishing show with 2 girls
something like fishing with Courtny and Katie, the taller one would not
even touch the fish, funny stuff...

The show is "Fishing with Shelly & Courtney" and one of the funniest things
I saw was a guy walking around ICAST with a t-shirt that read "I slept with
Shelly AND Courtney....."

--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike Getz[_2_]

The folks here must think I'm nuts, I just busted a gut laughing at that
one. Pretty bad show, The "cooking" parts were priceless...

Old March 7th, 2008, 06:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
James E. Morrow

In about 1989 I encountered my worst fishing TV program. I don't recall
the actual name of the program, but it might have been called “Fishing
with Uncle Billy.” It aired on The Nashville Network early on Saturday
mornings. (Nashville Network, no longer in business, was then owned by
the Gaylord family here in Oklahoma City.) The program featured a
character in bib overalls out of somewhere in Mississippi.

Uncle Billy was holding forth on the subject of small mouth bass. In the
manner of a satirical imitation of Bill Dance he expounded on the
habitat and feeding habits of the species. It went something like this:

“Well you know them Smallmouth, they likes clear water and rocky
bottoms. That's where they find them crawdads. They sure do like them
crawdads. Course them darkies likes them crawdads too.”

I nearly fell out of my chair. Al Campanis, the former baseball player
with the Dodgers and Jimmy “the Greek” Snyder of CBS had only recently
been canned for on camera racial comments.

I waited several weeks but the show went on as if nothing has happened.
Maybe I really was the only viewer out there in TV land.Finally, I wrote
the network, “Attention: Standards & Practices.” I pointed out what had
been said and suggested that Uncle Billy join Messrs Campanis and
Snyder in well deserved retirement. I never heard back from anybody at
Nashville Network. But two weeks later the show disappeared.

It appears that the sponsors were promised the program would air in
designated markets. This would explain why the un-aired unoffensive
episodes ran at unscheduled times on public access channels later. That
way nobody was watching, but they could tell the ad agencies that it
ran. With that Uncle Billy was gone.

--
James E. Morrow
Email to:
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Mar 7, 1:27 pm, "James E. Morrow" wrote:
[...]

I guess people can find something to take offense at anywhere they
look. I am sure he was talking about largemouth bass, many call them
black bass, when he used the term "darkies." As opposed to
"brownies, or smallmouth." Any problem with calling them black bass?

If Uncle Billy was Billy Westmoreland you should have listened - you
might have learned something.

Ronnie

httop://fishing.about.com
Old February 19th, 2011, 01:52 PM
shanefosster shanefosster is offline
Junior Member

I remember that the fish brought his father and his fish pond. They fished for a tall single-staircase set out in the pond. This is fun, especially his father's comments in the outing.