skipping docks

Old September 12th, 2008, 02:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BIG FISH 2006

Default skipping docks

I hear alot of guys talking about skipping docks, what are some good
baits for this technique? how far should I stay back from the docks and
when do you set the hook. Thanks for all help in advance,

Rob

Old September 12th, 2008, 04:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

skipping docks

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Thu, Sep 11, 2008, 9:53pm (CDT+1)
From: (BIG*FISH*2006)
I hear alot of guys talking about skipping docks, what are some good
baits for this technique? how far should I stay back from the docks and
when do you set the hook. Thanks for all help in advance,
************************************************** ************************************************** ********Rob
======

Rob, I'm not the most accomplished bass fisherman, but fishing docks was
something I did a lot of when I was working out at Kentucky lake a few
years back.

I threw jigs, worms, and some small spinner baits mostly. I usually
stayed about 20 feet from the dock, and tried to skip the bait under the
"shady" side of the dock. I would feed out some line so the bait would
sink under the dock, then do a slow count of maybe 3 or 4, then a couple
jerks, and let it settle again, and another couple jerks.

I caught some nice bass with that technique...and when I was hungry for
some crappie, and didn't know where a brush pile was, I always caught
"dinner" using a crappie jig that way too!

Oh, just remembered, one of the biggest bass I caught that way was on a
"craw".

Just a thought......

John B

Old September 12th, 2008, 12:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
gwilber

I do a lot of dock skipping and what I use is either a tube with an
1/8 oz weight inside or a senko imitation with the hook rigged to one
end instead of wacky rigging it. With the senko I sometimes use super
glue to hold it on the hook as I'm hitting the lure pretty hard onto
the water. With the tubes I use the HP kepper hook that clamps on the
tube so it stays in place.

Gary