New world record bass?

Old July 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default New world record bass?

On Jul 6, 11:56*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Ronnie" wrote in message

As I understand it, this wouldn't be the world record because the IGFA
requires a record to beat the old one by two ounces, so it officially
would
be considered a tie

That is the way I understand it, too, and what I said in the short
article I did on it.

I wonder what standards and rules would apply under the old Field & Stream
rules where Perry's fish was registered. *As near as I can tell IGFA did not
exist back then.

Not going to get into old arguments about Dottie, but a fish hooked outside
of the mouth might not be disqualified from record holding status according
to IGFA. *Still I have a lot of respect for them deciding to release the
fish, and because they were sight fishing it probably was not a qualifying
catch. *Just remember that "foul hooked" is not an instant illegitimate
catch or you could find yourself throwing away tournament winning fish that
you could have weighed legally. *Know your local regulations, and read your
tournament rules. *I personally know three people who have made that
mistake, and its happened in pro level tournaments as well.

Hard jerkbait and topwater fish are routinely hooked outside the mouth.
Neither method is usually fished to deliberately "snag" a fish.

Bob La Londewww.YumaBassMan.com

"Fishing for it on the bed and hooking it in the side" is kinda like
"sight fishing and foul hooking it."

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Jul 6, 5:49*pm, "Marty" wrote:
Here in New York, foul-hooked fish are legal except for trout and salmon
plus walleye in Oneida Lake.

Here in Georgia, too, unless you are intentionally trying to snag
them. In most tournaments if you are sight fishing and snag a fish it
has to be released, if accidentally foul hooked while fishing in other
ways it is legal.

In our state federation Top Six, if you are sight fishing and hook a
fish your partner must verify it is hooked in the mouth before you
take the hook out.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bite Me

"Ronnie" wrote in message

[...]

I wanted to add though, that there was some confusion as to whether it would
have still been a legal catch because while many tournament rules say must
be caught in mouth while sight fishing CaDFG regs just say must be fished in
a manner to attempt to get the fish to take the bait voluntarily, but does
not say that the fish must be hooked in the mouth. He said he felt a tap
and swung.

Often when sight fishing I have just watched to see what the bass do and
what I feel without ever setting the hook so I could learn something. One
thing I noticed when sight fishing bedding bass was that sometimes they take
an invading bait on the initial entry and you really don't feel anything.
The first tap you feel is the bait dropping away when they spit it out. I
have also noticed largemouth are more inclined to this type of bite and spit
than a smallmouth. For those who want to learn something, anytime you get
to fish an area where you can see the bass take your bait whether its clear
water cranking off the edge of a grassbed, shallow ambush feeders in a back
channel, or bedding bass you should take the time to see what the fish do
instead of just smacking them hard and getting them in the boat as fast as
you can. Its a fantastic learning opportunity that I think many anglers
over look.

It was most definitely a grey area, but lots of haters and jealous anglers
wanted to declare that there was no possible way it was a legal catch. I
had hoped not to restart this old arguement, but at the time I read all the
hate, rules, jealousy, articles, etc that were posted on-line and came in my
fishing magazine and that was my conclusion based on the few articles and
comments that were not over burdened with opinion and conjecture.

The only real conclusion is they had a world record bass in their boat,
decide it was a grey area and released her.

* Useful Repeat * One thing I noticed when sight fishing bedding bass was
that sometimes they take an invading bait on the initial entry and you
really don't feel anything. The first tap you feel is the bait dropping
away when they spit it out.

* What I do * This observation has helped me with both bed fish and fishing
where I can not see the fish because of water color or heavy vegetation. As
soon as the bait stops moving I bring the line snug and see if it moves by
lifting or pulling very slightly. If it does not move I set the hook. 9
times out of 10 its a fish. If it does move I'll pause, and then shake the
bait to see if it will fall further then when it stops I do the same thing
again. I know, I know. Lots of folks will say that they feel every strike,
and that I must be using inferior technique or equipment if I "have to" do
that, but I use good equipment and even my flipping sticks have some
sensitivty and whenever practical use braided line for even more
sensitivity. With a good rod and braided line you can feel the line jump
even just a little bit even with a lot of slack in your line. Sometimes it
doesn't jump. It just stops on the fall like it hit bottom or landed on a
branch.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 10th, 2009, 02:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ronnie" wrote in message

[...]

IGFA requires that the fish be legally caught in the jurisdiction it was
caught in. A fish hooked outside the mouth is not a legal catch in CA.
It's not the hook outside the mouth part that makes it a non-catch in
the IGFA's eye, it's the not legal to do that in the state in which it
was caught part.

But the IGFA only gives lip service to the entire fresh water community
to start with, and as far as I"m concerned, they are irrelevant. 1 ounce
or 1/4 ounce, the Japanese fish appears to have been thoroughly
documented, and regardless of the IGFA's rule that serves to protect a
record that was never documented, and not even a photo exists of, the
bass angling public knows that the new record belongs in Japan. The IGFA
is just making itself even more irrelevant with rules like that.
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"RichZ" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ronnie" wrote in message

[...]

Please show me where the Ca DFG regs specifically says that every fish must
be stuck inside the mouth.

Old July 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty[_2_]

I wonder if this covers it?

1.05. Angling.

To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with the
line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended in such
manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or lure in its mouth.

Old July 11th, 2009, 03:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Bob La Londe wrote:
"RichZ" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ronnie" wrote in message

As I understand it, this wouldn't be the world record because the IGFA
requires a record to beat the old one by two ounces, so it
officially would
be considered a tie

That is the way I understand it, too, and what I said in the short
article I did on it.

I wonder what standards and rules would apply under the old Field &
Stream rules where Perry's fish was registered. As near as I can
tell IGFA did not exist back then.

Not going to get into old arguments about Dottie, but a fish hooked
outside of the mouth might not be disqualified from record holding
status according to IGFA. Still I have a lot of respect for them
deciding to release the fish,

They had no choice in the matter, there were many witnesses, including a
camera man filming. These guys had been trying to catch this world
record bass for over 3 days, "I" knew two days prior to them snagging it
they were on top of the World record's bed, they threw literately
everything in tackle box at this fish, she ignored everything, including
the jig they snagged her with. There would have been know way they could
have gotten away with the snag instead of her taking the bait, too many
people were watching

No they never did try my rig on her, they didn't have it at the time,
and I couldn't get it to them in time

Of course they have my rigs now

--
Secret Weapon Recoil Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old July 12th, 2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Marty" wrote in message
I wonder if this covers it?

1.05. Angling.

To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with the
line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended in
such manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or lure in its mouth.

That's all I found too. Does not specifically say a fish hooked outside the
mouth is an illegal catch. Just rules out "deliberate" snagging.

Old July 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
HobbHott

Rodney Long wrote in
:

Of course they have my rigs now

Of course they now can only hope to try and catch a fish using your sh*t on
a shingle, or should I say, Spam on a Shank rig?

Keep trying to peddle your defective fishing garbage to the world Bubba,
one retard out of many millions might just be stupid enough to believe your
Billy Mays bunk, and actually buy your rat-trap fishing junk!

What do you think of them apples, Dick Short?

HH