Float Tubing

Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Float Tubing

There is a place I like to fish that is walk in access only. Heavy brush.
Dragging my canoe is not even possible even with a partner and with a canoe
dolly. There is only a small portion of it I can fish from the bank or by
wading. I was thinking I could pack in a light duty float tube deflated in
my pack, but I need to be able to inflate it in a reasonable period of time.
Any of you guys have a suggestion. Something small enough to be packable
and can inflate the tube in a short period of time to full pressure?

Remember I also have to pack in water, (a snack if I stay all day) and my
fishing gear along with reasonable safety gear.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a place I like to fish that is walk in access only. Heavy brush.
Dragging my canoe is not even possible even with a partner and with a canoe
dolly. There is only a small portion of it I can fish from the bank or by
wading. I was thinking I could pack in a light duty float tube deflated in
my pack, but I need to be able to inflate it in a reasonable period of time.
Any of you guys have a suggestion. Something small enough to be packable
and can inflate the tube in a short period of time to full pressure?

Remember I also have to pack in water, (a snack if I stay all day) and my
fishing gear along with reasonable safety gear.

I've tried float tubes and don't like them. If you can pack in
a float tube and the fins and the pump and your fishing gear,
you can just as easily carry in a small canoe. One of my canoes
is a 54 lb. 16 footer and I can carry it anywhere I can pack a
float tube and all its paraphernalia.

The only time I'd use a float tube anymore is for fishing a
high alpine lake and traveling there on horseback. And even
then I'd just as soon arrive a half hour late on foot carrying
a canoe rather than riding a friggin' horse and being stuck
in a float tube all day. But that's just me.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill[_2_]

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I still float tube. Is easier to carry the tube than my kayak or canoe. I
happen to crry mine inflated, but just get a pony bottle for scuba. About
3000psi and maybe 2 pounds.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

This is some heavy brush to get through. I don't think so. In some places
I am using both hands to separate the brush so I can push through, and
wading in hip deep water where I am not actually laying on or crawling over
the brush. A light duty float tube will fit in my back pack. I wouldn't
even want to try to get through with a full frame pack.

I suppose it might be possible to drag a one person kayak, but it would be
pretty scratched up., and I would be exhausted by the time I got it through.
Its not a long walk. Maybe a half mile, but there are two or three places
where I can barely fit me through the brush. One of them is about 100 feet
of that type of squeezing through. I have a canoe, and seriously thought
about how I might get it through and gave up on the idea.

Last time I was there I waded in neck deep water and whacked fish left and
right, but I was only able to fish about 1% of the fishable pond/opening.
It was all too deep for any more. There is no way I could pack in my tube
inflated, and I would have to use one of the smaller ones that will fit in
my day pack.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

I still float tube. Is easier to carry the tube than my kayak or canoe.
I happen to crry mine inflated, but just get a pony bottle for scuba.
About 3000psi and maybe 2 pounds.

I was thinking CO2 or something like that. Maybe a paintball tank, but that
make perfect sense.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

I still float tube. Is easier to carry the tube than my kayak or canoe.
I happen to crry mine inflated, but just get a pony bottle for scuba.
About 3000psi and maybe 2 pounds.

I was thinking CO2 or something like that. Maybe a paintball tank, but
that make perfect sense.

I'll have to check pricing, but I think a CO2 Jac Pac might be the answer.
Use a hose nozzle or adaptor to my tube fitting instead of plugging it into
a nail gun or other air tool. Relatively cheap too.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill[_2_]

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

I still float tube. Is easier to carry the tube than my kayak or canoe.
I happen to crry mine inflated, but just get a pony bottle for scuba.
About 3000psi and maybe 2 pounds.

I was thinking CO2 or something like that. Maybe a paintball tank, but
that make perfect sense.

I'll have to check pricing, but I think a CO2 Jac Pac might be the answer.
Use a hose nozzle or adaptor to my tube fitting instead of plugging it
into a nail gun or other air tool. Relatively cheap too.

Scuba shops will refill paintball tanks. At least Sport Chalet does.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

I still float tube. Is easier to carry the tube than my kayak or
canoe. I happen to crry mine inflated, but just get a pony bottle for
scuba. About 3000psi and maybe 2 pounds.

I was thinking CO2 or something like that. Maybe a paintball tank, but
that make perfect sense.

I'll have to check pricing, but I think a CO2 Jac Pac might be the
answer. Use a hose nozzle or adaptor to my tube fitting instead of
plugging it into a nail gun or other air tool. Relatively cheap too.

Scuba shops will refill paintball tanks. At least Sport Chalet does.

No scuba shops in Yuma, but I just found a paintball shop that will refill
for $5 per pound. Not great, but hey, wadda ya gonna do?

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Lu Powell[_2_]

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

We have a rechargeable pump used to inflate the grandkids big tubes that get
towed behind our boat. Fully charged, it can inflate a two person float,
with power to spare. Nice thing is , it's about 5 inches by 4 inches in
size. Comes with nozzle attachments for varying sizes. Does not include
fitting for tire inner tube.

I think I bought it at Wal-Mart. Its box is labeled "Ozark Trail AC/DC
rechargeable pump". Cost less than $20.00. Here's link to walmart.com ad:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4694688

Old March 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM
rockmorgan rockmorgan is offline
Junior Member

I accept tried float tubes and don't like them. If you can pack in a float tube and the fins and the pump and your fishing gear, you can just as calmly carry in a small canoe. The only time I had use a float tube anymore is for fishing a high alpine lake and traveling there on horseback.