fishing line memory

Old November 27th, 2009, 12:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Paul Fisher

Default fishing line memory

Is there any practical way to "unlearn" fishing line memory?
When I comes off the spool it seems ok, but when I release the guide to
cast, it jumps off the spool like a slinky and it was new line........

Old November 27th, 2009, 01:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rob[_2_]

Paul Fisher wrote:
Is there any practical way to "unlearn" fishing line memory?
When I comes off the spool it seems ok, but when I release the guide to
cast, it jumps off the spool like a slinky and it was new line........

You loaded it backwards. Seriously!

Rob
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Paul Fisher" wrote in message
Is there any practical way to "unlearn" fishing line memory?
When I comes off the spool it seems ok, but when I release the guide to
cast, it jumps off the spool like a slinky and it was new line........

Remember that some lines have more memory and coiling issues than others,
and you didn't say what line you are using. OK, I assume that you're
talking about the line on a spinning reel. First of all, when you spool the
line, take care to insure that the line goes onto the reel lying the same
direction that it did on the line spool initially.

Now, if for some reason this didn't happen, you get the problem you have
now. But it can be remedied.

You can try removing the spool from the reel and placing it in a bowl of hot
water. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, all
is not lost.

If you don't have a good ball-bearing snap swivel, go get one. Tie it onto
your line and clip the snap to something solid. Now, open the bail and walk
backwards until the spool is empty. Close the bail, crank down the drag and
put a LOT of tension on the line. Slowly crank the line back onto the reel
keeping the line under a lot of tension. This will stretch the line and
help reduce the memory and coiling. The ball bearing swivel will allow the
line to turn and hopefully go back onto the spool properly.

--
Steve Huber
Executive Producer/Editor in Chief

Old November 27th, 2009, 09:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Paul Fisher

The line spool edge was facing me with the line coming off the top and onto
the reel as if reeling in a fish. I have been hanging it by a bait hook and
letting the weight of the rod and reel pull down, and was going to try a
heat gun, but I will try the hot water and if no luck the 'walkabout' thanks

Old November 27th, 2009, 06:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Paul Fisher" wrote in message
m...
[...]

The walk and pull method Steve describes seems to work the best for me.

Old November 28th, 2009, 12:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Paul Fisher" wrote in message
m...
The line spool edge was facing me with the line coming off the top and
onto the reel as if reeling in a fish. I have been hanging it by a bait
hook and letting the weight of the rod and reel pull down, and was going
to try a heat gun, but I will try the hot water and if no luck the
'walkabout' thanks

If I'm understanding you correctly, I know the problem right now. You
didn't put the line on backwards, you put it on "sideways!"

Like I said, mono line picks up a memory as it is stored on the filler
spool. The line takes a set as it's spooled and stored. It is important
that the line goes onto the reel spool in the same way that it lays on the
filler spool. The way you held the spool would have been perfect if you
were spooling a baitcasting reel, but with a spinning reel, the spool is 90
degrees perpendicular. So with each revolution of the bail, you were
putting a half twist in that segment of line. That all adds up to a mess
after spooling a hundred yards of line!

The next time you spool up your spinning reels, lay the spool down on the
floor, flat! Thread the line through the guides, open the bail and tie the
line to the spool. Now crank the reel handle two or three times. Drop the
rod tip and watch the line. Does it immediately twist up or throw itself
around the rod tip? If it does, now you're putting it on backwards and need
to flip the filler spool over. Now the line should spool up nice and neat.

Make sense?

Old November 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty[_2_]

Let me say that it would be a good idea to read the reel's owner's manual,
or whatever sheet of paper that passes for a manual these days. Some reels
with anti-twist line rollers advise the user to spool it by holding the
supply spool the way you'd hold it for a baitcaster. I have both Daiwa and
Shimano reels which have such instructions.

In the absence of such instructions, lay the spool on the floor as Steve
suggests. I have never seen a spinning reel that doesn't put line on
clockwise, therefore, the supply spool should be on the floor such that the
line comes off it counterclockwise.

Finally, it may be that you are using line that just plain isn't
spinning-friendly and/or using line with too high a pound test for your
reel.

Old November 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Paul Fisher" wrote in message
news
I am using Eagle Claw at 15 lb test,

That could be part of the problem. 15 pound test is pretty heavy line for
spinning tackle and I'm not sure what diameter the line is. Remember that
the larger the line's diameter, the less inclined the line will be to
conform to the spool and the more likely it will be to spring off the spool,
especially if you're using a smaller spinning reel with a smaller diameter
spool. The heaviest line I'll ever use on a spinning reel is 12 pound, and
usually I'm using 4 to a max. of 10 pound.