June tournament

Old June 8th, 2010, 06:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default June tournament

Chattanooga Tennessee Fishing Forum
Home New Posts Statistics Members Search Chat Forums Hall of
Fame Gear Links Calendars Fishing Photo's Control Panel
Advertise Contact
Welcome, Ronnie Garrison (Logoff). You have 50 messages in your inbox
(0 new).
There are 125 other users online (72 registered, 53 guests). Click
for Weather

Fishing Forum!

Ronnie Garrison, West Point, bass, June 6, Al Rosser
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page] View previous thread :: View
Reply New post Fishing - Fishing Reports (Search fishing
reports) Message format

Ronnie Garrison

Posted 6/7/2010 10:57 PM (#349143)
Subject: Ronnie Garrison, West Point, bass, June 6, Al Rosser Quote
Reply Alert
Offline

Elite Veteran

5001001002525
Location: Griffin, GA
(74.244.127.38) Sunday - June 6, 2010 - Day 134 - 23 days missed

Lake West Point - Flint River Bass Club June tournament
Fished 6 AM to 3 PM, water 80 to 82, sun came up then got cloudy until
about 11, then sunny and very hot rest of day. Calm morning with a
good breeze in the afternoon.

For the folks reading this on sites that pull my post and post them on
their pages, please get the rest of the story at my site -http://
fishing.about.com. For folks here, I apologize for the spam.

Could not decide which way to go - had been told the pockets upriver
were holding fish hitting topwater but I have done good downriver the
past few tournaments. Decided to stick with what I know rather than
what I have been told.

Ran down to a rocky main lake point and went around it with
chatterbait - still pretty low light. Partner threw several baits.
Came back around it with a Rico popper - neither of us had a hit. I
was throwing a Tennessee Shad Rico on ten pound test line in the open
water on the points.

Went to the point where I got 8 hits on 8 casts and put a limit in the
boat on topwater six weeks ago. It is back in a creek and I figured
the fish had moved out. Wrong. As the sun came up I got a nice 2.5
pound spot on a Rico then a 1.5 pounder. A few minutes later got a
1.5 pounder to the boat and it jumped right at the net and threw my
plug. That deflated me. 6:45 and two in the livewell and one got off!

We worked everything in that area I knew for over two hours with no
hits from keepers - caught a few short fish. Decided to make a big
move at 8:30 and ran up to a roadbed above the two bridges. Worked it
with a variety of baits with no hits.

At about 9:00 I decided to work into the short cove with a top water
bait. I picked up a different rod with a different color Rico -
crappie color, I think - and heavier 15 pound test line for the cover
in the cove. We were sitting in about 10 feet of water throwing to a
bank with overhanging bushes -water a little stained from boat waves
and 82 degrees. A fish sucked my Rico under and I thought it was a
little fish till my rod bowed good - managed to land a solid 2.5 pound
fat largemouth. Three in the livewell at 9:20. A few casts later the
water exploded under my Rico and I landed another good 2.5 pound
largemouth. My partner said he needed a Rico - he had ordered some
but they were to be delivered on Monday. He had tried a bunch of
baits, including a Pop-R. I gave him the rod with the Tennessee Shad
Rico on it.

We fished around that pocket with no more keepers. Ran across to a
similar pocket and near the back got a decent 1.5 pound spot on the
Rico. 10:15 and a limit - I figured about 9 to 10 pounds.

We fished another pocket then ran to a small creek that usually holds
fish. I worked a big worm and Senko, hoping for a kicker fish, while
my partner threw the Rico. He had one suck it under but missed it. I
had just reeled in my Senko and I automatically cast to where the
fish hit, and one took off with it. I landed a 13 inch spot - wish I
had not cast to it, it did not help me but would have been a keeper
for my partner.

On the next point on a Carolina rigged Baby Brush Hog I got another
spot, about 14 inches long and maybe as big or bitter than my smallest
so I put it in the live well to cull later. Fish looked bigger than I
remembered in the livewell but water makes them look bigger. A minute
later my partner landed a keeper spot on a Carolina rig. Finally had a
keeper at noon.

We worked that cove and then a couple of main river points, hoping the
water would have started moving but there was no current even though
they were supposed to generate at 1 PM. At 2:15 we went back to the
roadbed where I had caught my two largemouth - figured there might be
a school holding on the roadbed. Partner got another 13 inch spot on
the roadbed but nothing hit my big worm. I did get another short fish
on the popper as time ran out.

When I opened my livewell to cull the smallest spot, I got a shock.
The aerator on my side had quit working and all my fish were dead. It
had stopped some time between noon when I checked and 3. Partners was
still working so we did not realize mine had quit.

At the weigh-in I was surprised. I had the only limit and won with
10.48 pounds. Second was 10.05 with four fish and he had big fish at
4.82 - all on Flukes. Third was four at 6.27 and fourth was 4 at
5.33. There were 5 zeros out of the 14 in the tournament.

Tough day!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
-----