August night tournament

Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default August night tournament

Saturday - August 21, 2010 - Day 199 - 35 days missed

Spalding County Sportsman Club August Tournament
Jackson Lake, 7 PM - 3 AM - Hot and threatening storms
Water 91 degrees and green, very little breeze

I started on my usual ridge at the dam right at the ramp. Got some
thumps but figured they were bream - nothing there when I set the
hook. Gave me hope since a lot of baitfish were around. Worked the
area for a couple of hours, including working out to a mid-lake hump
at the end of the ridge right in front of the dam. Tops out in 14 feet
with brush. Not a hit on it tho.

The fish cops have a dock here and I fished near it and watched as
they unloaded a very drunk, very plump woman and put her in the truck.
Sheriff picked her up and they went back out right at dark.

As it got dark I started to move but lightning started flashing to
the West - usually means headed this way. I kept working the ridge -
I won four of five August night tournaments here between 04 and 08.
Last year didn't catch anything here and left, but years I have stayed
all night they hit sometime during the tournament.

Lightning seemed headed toward me so I stayed around ramp. Worked
another point then ran back to the ridge. Didn't see the other bass
boat near there until rangers came up - then I saw his back running
light. Rangers didn't say anything to him about no front running
lights - turned out it was a club member.He had not hooked a fish
either. By the time we talked it was 11 PM.

Since he was working the area I went around the point toward the ramp.
Casting a jig head worm, it felt mushy, like I had picked up a leaf,
then I felt a thump. Figured I had waited too long but a heavy fish
was there when I set the hook. Fought the fish to the boat and
nettted it - figured four pounds. 11:55 - very glad to have a fish,
especailly a good one, in the livewell.

Kept fishing the area until 3 but no more hits. Cranking battery was
dead but I was close at quitting time. I figured it would not hold out
running lights, depthfinder and aerator for eight hours since I did no
running. Boat did crank at 2 AM for a short move and aerator and
lights worked the whole night.

At weigh-in there was one limit and he won with 6.26 pounds. My 4.44
pounder was good for second and big fish. Third was two at 4.32 and
fourth was 2 at 2.52. No one had more than two keepers except
winner. There were 3 zeros. Tough night.
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Gary Wilber

Congratulations Ronnie on another good finish! Sounds like you are
still getting in lots of fishing.
Gary
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Aug 26, 11:55*am, Gary Wilber wrote:
Congratulations Ronnie on another good finish! *Sounds like you are
still getting in lots of fishing.
Gary

I go often, but not like last year - fished every single day last
year, have missed over 30 days so far this year. Slowing down with
age I guess!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
danl

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:12:11 -0700 (PDT), Ronnie
wrote:

On Aug 26, 11:55*am, Gary Wilber wrote:
Congratulations Ronnie on another good finish! *Sounds like you are
still getting in lots of fishing.
Gary

I go often, but not like last year - fished every single day last
year, have missed over 30 days so far this year. Slowing down with
age I guess!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Ronnie, say it ain't so! I need an Iron Man fishing hero!!!

I'll give ya a call next week. Maybe stop by on the scoot on the way
up North.

Dan
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

wrote:
On Aug 26, 11:55*am, Gary Wilber wrote:
Congratulations Ronnie on another good finish! *Sounds like you are
still getting in lots of fishing.
Gary

I go often, but not like last year - fished every single day last
year, have *missed over *30 days so far this year. *Slowing down with
age I guess!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Ronnie, say it ain't so! *I need an Iron Man fishing hero!!! *

I'll give ya a call next week. *Maybe stop by on the scoot on the way
up North.

Dan

Let me know. I have a couple of trips planned next week for articles
but maybe we can get some time in on the boat.

I hate it but I am not going to Wisconsin this year - the two week
trip to Alaska took too much out of me.

Ronnie
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
danl

wrote:
[...]

Now it looks like it will be the week after. Things are kinda up in
the air, I'll let ya know as soon as I find out so don't worry. It
may not even be for a couple of weeks on the return trip.

Dan