Sept tournament

Old September 15th, 2010, 04:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Sept tournament

Sunday - September 12, 2010 - Day 214 - 42 days missed

Flint River bass club tournament, West Point. Sunny and hot, water 86
degrees

Ran up to bridge and got a solid keeper largemouth on second cast with
popper. Fished around the riprap and landed two small throwback spots
on jig but no more keepers.

Ran to a point about a half mile away and motor made rattling sound as
I came to idle and it shut off. Cranked it and it sounded bad.
Decided to fish my way back to the ramp, a few miles away, rather than
make motor worse.

In 6.5 hours fishing back I landed a keeper spot in the back of a
pocket in four feet of water on a jig head - it picked it up and ran
under the boat before i could set the hook. Back at the bridge I
landed my third keeper on a small jig and pig.

About a mile from weigh-in spot I was going across a big shallow flat
with troll motor on high. A school came up in front of boat and I got
a solid 2 pound spot on a popper.

That was it. Got back to the ramp in time. My four went 5.9 pounds and
third place. First had five at 9 and second was five at 7.5. Not too
bad with no motor.

I did crank it to try to get it on the trailer and a club member who
is a mechanic said it sounded like a bearing was running without oil.
Gonna be an expensive tournament!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"Ronnie" wrote in message
Sunday - September 12, 2010 - Day 214 - 42 days missed

Flint River bass club tournament, West Point. Sunny and hot, water 86
degrees

Ran up to bridge and got a solid keeper largemouth on second cast with
popper. Fished around the riprap and landed two small throwback spots
on jig but no more keepers.

Ran to a point about a half mile away and motor made rattling sound as
I came to idle and it shut off. Cranked it and it sounded bad.

Ouch. I hopes it just "sounds" bad.

Decided to fish my way back to the ramp, a few miles away, rather than
make motor worse.

I've done that. More than once. One of my top five best tournaments I just
started fishing where the motor died.

In 6.5 hours fishing back I landed a keeper spot in the back of a
pocket in four feet of water on a jig head - it picked it up and ran
under the boat before i could set the hook. Back at the bridge I
landed my third keeper on a small jig and pig.

About a mile from weigh-in spot I was going across a big shallow flat
with troll motor on high. A school came up in front of boat and I got
a solid 2 pound spot on a popper.

That was it. Got back to the ramp in time. My four went 5.9 pounds and
third place. First had five at 9 and second was five at 7.5. Not too
bad with no motor.

Not bad all things considered.

I did crank it to try to get it on the trailer and a club member who
is a mechanic said it sounded like a bearing was running without oil.
Gonna be an expensive tournament!

Here's hoping its something stupid like a loose cover for something under
the cowling.

Old September 16th, 2010, 07:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Just got a call from the shop - motor power head is toast. 225 YAMAHA
had only 235 hours on it - mechanic said they saw no reason for the
motor to fail - broke rings and burned piston and cylinder. Motor is 7
years old but I never run it hard. Will be interesting - and
expensive! - to see what happens.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old September 17th, 2010, 03:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"Ronnie" wrote in message
Just got a call from the shop - motor power head is toast. 225 YAMAHA
had only 235 hours on it - mechanic said they saw no reason for the
motor to fail - broke rings and burned piston and cylinder. Motor is 7
years old but I never run it hard. Will be interesting - and
expensive! - to see what happens.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Old September 19th, 2010, 07:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Sep 16, 10:06*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Ronnie" wrote in message

Just got a call from the shop - motor power head is toast. 225 YAMAHA
had only 235 hours on it - mechanic said they saw no reason for the
motor to fail - broke rings and burned piston and cylinder. Motor is 7
years old but I never run it hard. *Will be interesting - and
expensive! - to see what happens.

Ouch. *Sorry to hear that.

Got good news Friday. Yamaha is going to stand behind the motor. With
such low hours and the tests the dealer ran showing no problems, they
are going to comp it even tho the motor is seven years old. Sure is
good when a company stands behind their products!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Ronnie" wrote in message SNIP

Got good news Friday. Yamaha is going to stand behind the motor. With
such low hours and the tests the dealer ran showing no problems, they
are going to comp it even tho the motor is seven years old. Sure is
good when a company stands behind their products!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Dang Man, that's good news!!! I like to hear about good things once in a
while. It seems lately, all I hear is bad news...
--
Steve Huber
Executive Producer/Editor in Chief

Old September 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"Ronnie" wrote in message

Just got a call from the shop - motor power head is toast. 225 YAMAHA
had only 235 hours on it - mechanic said they saw no reason for the
motor to fail - broke rings and burned piston and cylinder. Motor is 7
years old but I never run it hard. Will be interesting - and
expensive! - to see what happens.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Got good news Friday. Yamaha is going to stand behind the motor. With
such low hours and the tests the dealer ran showing no problems, they
are going to comp it even tho the motor is seven years old. Sure is
good when a company stands behind their products!

Wow! Now that is awesome. You must be living right.

Old September 21st, 2010, 06:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Sep 20, 9:40*pm, "geoff" wrote:
I'd run out and buy a lottery ticket if I was you...

Yea - can't believe they are doing that. But I had a similar
experience with an 1977 Evenrude 115. The rings broke and the shop
that was rebuilding it said they had seen a lot of problems with that
motor. I contacted OMC and they paid for all the parts even tho the
motor was four years old. They had designed the motor for high
compression and during that time is when gas octane was lowered -
causing preignition and ring breaking. Not really their fault, but
they stood behind their motor like Yamaha is doing now.

I "broke" two motors all on my own - and never felt bad about paying
to have them rebuilt.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com