fish attractants home brew Vs. Commercial

Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve W.

Default fish attractants home brew Vs. Commercial

I'm betting this is a topic that gets tossed around some.
After a few years absent from fishing in general I jumped back in a
couple years ago. Dug out all the old trusty lures and bought some new
toys as well as a replacement rod/reel (or three..)

Was looking at all the myriad of scents, scent masking sprays and such
and was wondering what the current item of the year will be.
One of my old mixes was garlic oil, anise oil, sea salt all mixed up
with fish oil.

Didn't bother with it much last year but am wondering what the current
mix is?

--
Steve W.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"Steve W." wrote in message

I'm betting this is a topic that gets tossed around some.
After a few years absent from fishing in general I jumped back in a
couple years ago. Dug out all the old trusty lures and bought some new
toys as well as a replacement rod/reel (or three..)

Was looking at all the myriad of scents, scent masking sprays and such
and was wondering what the current item of the year will be.
One of my old mixes was garlic oil, anise oil, sea salt all mixed up
with fish oil.

Didn't bother with it much last year but am wondering what the current
mix is?

Garlic or Anise are still optimum easy scents to use. I prefer garlic and
its available a number of different ways, or you can make it. One angler I
knew used to mix anise oil with Vasiline. For commercial scent some will
argue, but IMO the two best currently are Pro Cure and Mega Strike.

Some anglers will claim no scent at all is best.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve W.

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message

[...]

I was under the assumption that the scent was more to hide any human,
machine oil, paint type scents, than to actually call the fish in.

--
Steve W.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

I used to mix Anise oil and vanilla extract - not sure I caught more
bass but it sure made me hungry!

If I want to use something now I use JJs Magic, a dip and dye that is
strong garlic - comes in clear if you just want scent.

I suspect your confidence in a scent is the most important factor.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I used to mix Anise oil and vanilla extract - not sure I caught more
bass but it sure made me hungry!

If I want to use something now I use JJs Magic, a dip and dye that is
strong garlic - comes in clear if you just want scent.

I suspect your confidence in a scent is the most important factor.

I agree with Ronnie's assessment. Confidence is a big factor of fishing,
and if it makes you happy to dip your lures in either a commercial or
homemade scent, dip away.

I figure that it sure won't hurt, and under tough conditions, it might just
help.
--
Steve Huber
Executive Producer/Editor in Chief

Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in message

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I used to mix Anise oil and vanilla extract - not sure I caught more
bass but it sure made me hungry!

If I want to use something now I use JJs Magic, a dip and dye that is
strong garlic - comes in clear if you just want scent.

I suspect your confidence in a scent is the most important factor.

I agree with Ronnie's assessment. Confidence is a big factor of fishing,
and if it makes you happy to dip your lures in either a commercial or
homemade scent, dip away.

I figure that it sure won't hurt, and under tough conditions, it might
just help.

I don't know why, but several times I have been fishing behind somebody not
using a scent when I was using Mega Strike. They would get bit, but miss
the fish because they spit it quick. I would throw in and get bit, and the
fish would swim around with it in their mouth giving me all the time in the
world to set the hook. The guy in the front would take a dab of the
MegaStrike, and start experiencing the same thing. I never felt it got me
more hits, but I definitely believe they hang onto it longer.

Old January 10th, 2011, 04:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
ScovilleUnit

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in
:

"Ronnie" wrote in message
..
.
I used to mix Anise oil and vanilla extract - not sure I caught more
bass but it sure made me hungry!

If I want to use something now I use JJs Magic, a dip and dye that is
strong garlic - comes in clear if you just want scent.

I suspect your confidence in a scent is the most important factor.

I agree with Ronnie's assessment. Confidence is a big factor of
fishing, and if it makes you happy to dip your lures in either a
commercial or homemade scent, dip away.

I figure that it sure won't hurt, and under tough conditions, it might
just help.

Espically when you can dip your $Pit in a can of $PAM!!!!

Dip away, dip $#it!!!!!