Suspended Fish

Old January 18th, 2011, 09:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
patrick013

Default Suspended Fish

Certain lake I fish always has bass suspended 25 ft. down in 40 ft. of
water. Problem is they will not bite.

Any presentation that works for these fish. They are rather big fish too.

thanks,

Patrick013

Old January 19th, 2011, 01:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Suspended Fish

Certain lake I fish always has bass suspended 25 ft. down in 40 ft. of
water. Problem is they will not bite.
Any presentation that works for these fish. They are rather big fish
too.
thanks,
Patrick013

=======

I'm not an expert, and you will probably get some better advice, but a
simple approach.....down size your tackle and bait, and "slow" down you
presentations!

Small jigs, and finesse worms worked slow. Suspended bass usually won't
waste a lot of energy chasing fast moving lures! Also the strikes will
probably be suttle, so lighter line, and watching your line action is
the key to hook ups.

If that doesn't work, do what I do, go find a point or channel that's
about the same depth as the suspended fish were at, and drop shot
some....no luck there, head for the marina and have a cold beer!
Don't get too frustrated, suspended bass are tough....just ask the pros.

John B

Old January 19th, 2011, 04:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"John B" wrote in message

[...]

I don't usually get into that situation around here where 10' is considered
deep water and the few holes that hit 20 are the dark abyss, but I did use
to fish the western basin a bit on Lake Erie. One of the first things we
were always curious about when we graphed suspended fish was what species
are they. We didn't have underwater cameras back then (1980s) but often we
would decide arbitrarily that they must not be what we were fishing for when
we couldn't get them to bite. LOL.

Often a slow falling tiny swim bait did work regardless of species though.
A sassy shad on a 1/4 ball jig counted down to depth and then very slowly
worked across the strata where the fish were holding. Another thing we
found. If the fish were holding at or close to the thermal inversion layer
they would often bite more aggressively than if they were holding in a
temperature constant section of the water column. We had paper graphs, but
if you cranked up the gain the thermal inversion layer would often show up
as a layer of clutter on the graph early in the day. Later in the day it
was harder to spot, but you could find it was pretty constant over most of
the lake throughout the day by dropping a thermometer over board on a marked
line and checking various depths.

Bob La Londe

Admin
www.YumaBassMan.com
Tournament Director
www.YumaProAm.com
ROFB Group FAQ
www.ROFB.net

Old January 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"John B" wrote in message

[...]

Another thing that seemed to help was to find places where the depth at
which fish were suspended intersected structure like a hump (reef) or
island.

Bob La Londe

Admin
www.YumaBassMan.com
Tournament Director
www.YumaProAm.com
ROFB Group FAQ
www.ROFB.net

Old January 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"John B" wrote in message

[...]

One more thing yet... LOL. If you have fish ID turned on, turn it off.
Often suspended garbage and suspended bait fish will show up as larger fish
on a graph if ID is on. If its off the show up as clutter, and larger fish
show up as an arc. Also, the arc will be bigger if the boat is going
slower.

Bob La Londe

Admin
www.YumaBassMan.com
Tournament Director
www.YumaProAm.com
ROFB Group FAQ
www.ROFB.net

Old January 20th, 2011, 01:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
patrick013

The sonar we had allowed us to see the actual fish's outline very clearly
and see what type of fish. Small northerns and walleye were in 10 ft.,
bigger catfish were in 15 ft., and the really big bass were in 25 ft. All
suspended in 40 ft. of water. Only a $159 sonar, too. Can't find it in
the stores anymore. Best little sonar we had then.

BG

Patrick013

Old January 20th, 2011, 03:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"patrick013" wrote in message
The sonar we had allowed us to see the actual fish's outline very clearly
and see what type of fish. Small northerns and walleye were in 10 ft.,
bigger catfish were in 15 ft., and the really big bass were in 25 ft.
All
suspended in 40 ft. of water. Only a $159 sonar, too. Can't find it in
the stores anymore. Best little sonar we had then.

Nothing wrong with a cheap sonar if you adjust it for what you want. I use
a $99 Garmin on the front of my little boat. It probably sees more use than
any of my other more expensive graphs. Oh, I turn them on, but I use my
little boat for exploring. Usually in the big boat I know where I am going,
and just use the graph to verify.

Bob La Londe

Admin
www.YumaBassMan.com
Tournament Director
www.YumaProAm.com
ROFB Group FAQ
www.ROFB.net

Old January 20th, 2011, 04:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Patrick013

Not too cheap if you positively ID those fish. It came on my
buddy's little 16 ft. bass boat.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
patrick013

On 01/19/2011 11:58 PM, Patrick013 wrote:
[...]

Been searching on Google patents for this machine but have not found the
exact one yet. Several are close but read like they colorize the fish
in a certain manner but do not create an exact outline that you could
ID the species on the screen from.

FYI

patrick

Old February 25th, 2011, 05:52 PM
robiinjakson robiinjakson is offline
Junior Member

Small jigs, worms and skills to work slower. Suspended bass usually do not waste a lot of energy chasing the lure of fast moving! The strike will be Suttle, so light line, see your line of action is the key link window.