Clarks HIll club tournament

Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Clarks HIll club tournament

Saturday - April 16, 2011 - day 29

My 6.5 hour drive took 8 hours. Rained on me from Lucas, KY to
Greensboro, GA, sometimes so hard people has flashers on and driving
30 MPH on the interstate. Took me over an hour go to 20 miles into
Chattanooga - no idea what the problem was, no accidents, but stop and
go and bumper to bumper for 20 miles. Fun pulling a boat in that.

Stopped raining about 40 miles from my place on the lake. Got
unloaded, took a shower and in bed by 1 AM for a short nap - had to
get up at 5 AM. Woke up and no rain still, but it started sprinkling
at 6. I had gotten a head of bad weather - it would come through
Clark's Hill today!

Ran down to blast off and met the rest of the club - Mistletoe State
Park keeps gates locked til 7 am and it was closer in the boat,
anyway.

Ran to a blowthrough to check on schooling fish - about time for
herring spawn, but nothing. Wind was bad. Went into my favorite
spawning cove but wind blowing right into it and it was muddy from the
wind. Did get one keeper on a Chatterbait. Rain, thunder and bad wind
for a couple of hours.

Tried to hit some more pockets but wind was bad. Got a second keeper
on a rocky point back in a cove on a jig head worm. Tried some
protected coves on the other side of the lake and got a bare 12 inch
keeper on a Trick worm by a bush. Water is down about 2 feet so not
much cover in the water. Fished a lot of shallow cover but nothing.

At 2 PM I had three small keepers, maybe four pounds total. Very
disgusted. Went into another spawning creek somewhat protected from
the wind and got a Carolina rig out. Too disgusted to retie it and had
been in rod locker for a long time - have not caught a fish on a
Carolina rig in a year or so, just do not throw it.

Got a hit on first cast and hooked what looked like a five pounder
when it jumped. Worried about my line during the fight but managed it
land it. Felt MUCH better.

Stayed on that point and the area around it and landed four more
decent keepers, culled my first three, and a bunch more that did not
help. All on Carolina rig and jig head and small jig and pig. By
three they quit but I was happy. Tried to hit several more places but
wind was AWFUL - almost impossible to run over idle speed in the
open.

Managed to get to the weigh-in on time. My five went 12.5 and were in
first, my big fish was 5.28 for big fish. Two members had ten pounds
each, a couple of 9s too. We had ten limits out of 13 fishermen, good
day.

Was worried about tomorrow - cold front, quitting at 2 right when I
caught fish today.

Luckily, wind had died and the 10 mile run back to my trailer was not
too terrible. Got in, retied all my baits, especially the Carolina
rig, ate some of the ribs from Thursday and got in bed early.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com