Sad News: Galyans sold off to...

Old November 29th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Don White

Default Sad News: Galyans sold off to...

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Dicks.

Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.

And the devolution continues...

Wonder if they went overboard on that new 'planet sized' store in Algonquin
IL?

Old November 29th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Doug Kanter

--
A passing thought:

"So community colleges are accessible, they're available, they're
affordable, and their curriculums don't get stuck. In other words, if
there's a need for a certain kind of worker, I presume your curriculums
evolved over time." —George W. Bush, Niceville, Fla., Aug. 10, 2004

Try Gander Mountain, if you have one nearby. If they continue growing,
they'll bury Dick's and everyone else. Great store.

Old November 29th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Dicks.

Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.

And the devolution continues...

--
A passing thought:

"So community colleges are accessible, they're available, they're
affordable, and their curriculums don't get stuck. In other words, if
there's a need for a certain kind of worker, I presume your curriculums
evolved over time." —George W. Bush, Niceville, Fla., Aug. 10, 2004

Try Gander Mountain, if you have one nearby. If they continue growing,
they'll bury Dick's and everyone else. Great store.

I get most of my fishing gear locally, from small shops, but I buy
sports clothing at places like Galyans and Bass Pro Shops. We have a
Bass Pro about 50 miles from here, just south of Baltimore. It's always
worth the trip. Bass Pro has great in-store clothing sales.

The first Bass Pro catalog I saw had (among a million other things) plain
cotton vests for guys who needed a place to wear all their fishing patches.
It showed a guy in one of these vests covered with patches from Zebco, Penn,
Mister Twister, etc. You've gotta have one serious identity problem to want
to be covered with manufacturers' patches, although I guess it's not much
different than people who walk around in t-shirts with "Tommy Hilfiger" in
5" high lettering, or Yves St Laurent purses.

Good catalog, though. :-)

Old November 29th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

My "fishing" dress consists of clothes far too raggy to wear doing
anything else, except, perhaps, cleaning out the mower deck on my little
tractor. Old, ripped tee-shirts, frayed shorts, three-season-old
sandals, et cetera. Except, of course, when I'm fly-fishing in fresh
water...then I dress up.

No Harry...don't do it - no dressing up just because there might be some
Trout Unlimited fellows on the stream!

Old November 29th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

My "fishing" dress consists of clothes far too raggy to wear doing
anything else, except, perhaps, cleaning out the mower deck on my

little
tractor. Old, ripped tee-shirts, frayed shorts, three-season-old
sandals, et cetera. Except, of course, when I'm fly-fishing in fresh
water...then I dress up.

No Harry...don't do it - no dressing up just because there might be some
Trout Unlimited fellows on the stream!

I dress up because the fish expect it.

My friend Tom lives near a local stream that's popular with the TU crowd. In
the past, he's gotten lectures about how his Mepps spinners are murder on
the trout because they swallow them, unlike the way they sort of get
lip-hooked on a fly. It never mattered to the lecturers when Tom showed them
that he uses MUCH bigger spinners than would be considered appropriate for
small trout, specifically so they could not swallow the lure. And, he
removes the treble hooks, replaces them with singles, and files off most of
the barb. Still, he got lectured.

Back in September, he put on as much blaze orange clothing as he had in his
closet and wandered all around the stream where some of the TU characters
were handing out. He got a lecture about how the fish would be spooked by
the red color blah blah blah. He caught more than they did. :-)

Old November 30th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Cliff

As I grow older, it's sad to see some of the old stores gone after fifty years
of service. Wal*Mart just doesn't have some of the heavier fishing tackle I
usually want.

I have been shopping at West Marine for fishing equipment the last few years.
They have the bigger tackle I need, and are only two blocks from the marina.

Sometimes I guess it is just me. I still get angry when stores don't have all
the parts for my 1955 Chevrolet, or proper coot training equipment.

http://members.aol.com/beakycoot

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Bert Robbins

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Dicks.

Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.

And the devolution continues...

You are a day late and a dollar short, this is old news.

Old November 30th, 2004, 12:40 PM
trainfan1

Bert Robbins wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Dicks.

Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.

And the devolution continues...

You are a day late and a dollar short, this is old news.

I was going to say... why all the excitement... this was news almost two
seasons ago!

Rob
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM
JimH

"trainfan1" wrote in message
Bert Robbins wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Dicks.

Galyans is a first-class sporting goods operation, with wide selections
of fishing, hunting, boating and outdoor gear of all kinds. The chain
sold out to Dicks, which is a couple of steps up from Wal-Mart.

And the devolution continues...

You are a day late and a dollar short, this is old news.

I was going to say... why all the excitement... this was news almost two
seasons ago!

Rob

That's our Harry for you. A day late and a dollar short. LOL!