Bait Casting Rig

Old August 12th, 2005, 03:06 AM
T R

Default Bait Casting Rig

I currently fish with a St Croix Avid 6'6" 2pc med power fast action rod
with a Shimano Stradic MgFa and want to add a bait casting rig to my
arsenal, what do you all suggest? I can spend about $400 - $500 for the
rig. Wouldn't mind spending lees if I don't have to sacrifice quality.

TR

Old August 12th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Bob La Londe

"T R" wrote in message news:OuTKe.42$UI.20@okepread05...
I currently fish with a St Croix Avid 6'6" 2pc med power fast action rod
with a Shimano Stradic MgFa and want to add a bait casting rig to my
arsenal, what do you all suggest? I can spend about $400 - $500 for the
rig. Wouldn't mind spending lees if I don't have to sacrifice quality.

TR

Shimano Curado 200BSF and St Croix Avid to suit what you plan to fish with
it. I like a medium moderate for topwater, or a medium heavy fast or extra
fast for most plastics.

You would have a top notch rig for well under your budget number. 150 for
the reel and 160 for the rod. That leaves you with money left over for a
whole nuther box of baits.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old August 12th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Chris Rennert

Bob La Londe wrote:
"T R" wrote in message news:OuTKe.42$UI.20@okepread05...

I currently fish with a St Croix Avid 6'6" 2pc med power fast action rod
with a Shimano Stradic MgFa and want to add a bait casting rig to my
arsenal, what do you all suggest? I can spend about $400 - $500 for the
rig. Wouldn't mind spending lees if I don't have to sacrifice quality.

TR

Shimano Curado 200BSF and St Croix Avid to suit what you plan to fish with
it. I like a medium moderate for topwater, or a medium heavy fast or extra
fast for most plastics.

You would have a top notch rig for well under your budget number. 150 for
the reel and 160 for the rod. That leaves you with money left over for a
whole nuther box of baits.

Yes, I agree completely with Bob. I would go with a straight medium /
fast for the best all around rod. Medium Moderate definitely dominates
for topwaters and crankbaits, but is probably not as desirable for
plastics as Bob had mentioned. I have a 7' Medium/Fast Avid that is a
great all around rod, hard jerkbaits, Spinnerbaits, plastics, jigs.

The reel is right on, especially with that kind of budget. Like Bob
said , get the Super Free. I have 3 BPS Extreme reels, that well....I
wouldn't recommend, I am very disappointed in.

Good luck....

chris
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:47 AM
T R

Sounds good. It seems like I can certainly get what I need under budget.
Gotta love that. Can I get away with a 2 pc rod? I travel alot to fish.

Old August 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM
alwaysfishking

I would personally get a Shimano Scorpion for the $150.00. I have 4 of them
and will probably add another one next year, I would talk to Steve H about a
custom rod to suit your needs

Old August 12th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"T R" wrote in message news:MRVKe.47$UI.35@okepread05...
Sounds good. It seems like I can certainly get what I need under budget.
Gotta love that. Can I get away with a 2 pc rod? I travel alot to fish.

"T R" wrote in message news:OuTKe.42$UI.20@okepread05...
I currently fish with a St Croix Avid 6'6" 2pc med power fast action rod
with a Shimano Stradic MgFa and want to add a bait casting rig to my
arsenal, what do you all suggest? I can spend about $400 - $500 for the
rig. Wouldn't mind spending lees if I don't have to sacrifice quality.

I travel quite a bit for fishing as well, but I still do it with one piece
rods. They simply travel in a Plano Rod Tube if I don't take my boat.

The previous advice about Shimano Curado 200SF or Scorpion for reels has
been spot on. They're excellent reels that are just about bullet proof. I
would suggest that you look at and handle different rods so that you get the
one you prefer. Or, come to the Northwoods Classic and try to win second
place. That'll get you a St. Croix Avid baitcaster.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com