Looking for long casting tips

Old May 20th, 2004, 04:16 AM
John Morphet

Default Looking for long casting tips

With the drought here in Colorado, there are certain fishing holes
that get drained. When the water gets low the DOW lets you fish by
any method to catch the fish. Snagging is the standard method. No
one wants the fish to die and rot, when the lake dries up. This is a
little like fishing out of a barrel with one exception. The shore
tends to be pretty muddy, so you have to cast from a ways back. The
further you can cast the better advantage you have.

So I have been experimenting with different hardware to get my casts
further out and am looking for any suggestions.

I have found by personal experience that using smaller line allows you
to cast further, but you need 20# test or better when snagging. I
tried stren super braid. I figured the small diameter for the
strength and the box said it casts easy. Well, it did cast easy, I
almost made it to the other side of the water hole. but a strange
thing happened; The line tied itself into a knot. I thought this was
an anomoly, so I peeled off some line, cut and retied my snag hook to
the line. Several casts later, I got another knot. I never had a
line do this before, but this is the first time I used this brand of
superbraid. I don't want to keep using this brand. So does anyone
have any recommendations for long casting 20# or better test line.

Also looking for recommendations for a medium cost spinning reel that
would allow me to cast further. I don't snag often so i don't want to
invest more than I have to.

TIA
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:22 AM
Marty

John Morphet wrote in message
Also looking for recommendations for a medium cost spinning reel that
would allow me to cast further. I don't snag often so i don't want to
invest more than I have to.

You can't go wrong with a Daiwa Regal-Z ($50) or a Regal-X ($30-40) or a
similar price Shimano. I assume you are aware that, all other things being
equal, the bigger diameter spool will cast the longest. A titanium coated
spool lip may help in reducing friction. I don't know offhand about lip
coatings on the reels I mentioned. Of course, a terrible quality reel can
cast long, so you might also want to look at factors other than the casting
distance.

Good luck.

Old May 21st, 2004, 02:17 PM
Jerry

John Morphet wrote:

Also looking for recommendations for a medium cost spinning reel that
would allow me to cast further. I don't snag often so i don't want to
invest more than I have to.

For the most part the reel only comes into play when fighting the fish.
The thing you should be concentrating on is the rod itself. A good
quality surf rod that lets you easily cast a 8 ounce or heavier weight
is what you need.

Jerry

Old May 21st, 2004, 11:41 PM
Bob La Londe

Power Pro is a really good superline. I use 50Lb (12lb dia) all the time
for heavy cover fishing.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
John Morphet

Thanks, I did get a daiwa surf rod and it definately helps.