Best fishing line?

Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:36 PM
GeneS

Default Best fishing line?

I plan to replace all the line on all my fresh & sal****er reels.
I'm still using the old open-face spinning & Ambassador baitcasters
for sal****er trout, reds & flounder - as well as bass in fresh water:-)

QUESTION:
Is there one good monofiliment type line that I can use for both
fresh & sal****er?

Here's my order of interest:
1. Will not tangle (curl up) - the grandkids will be using them as well
2. Will stretch - rather than break
3. The diameter of the line should be as small as possible for,
I guess about 15 pound or so line ...
I'm not really sure about the pound rating of the line. I guess
there is some compromise between line diameter & pounds -
but I do not know what that is. "I prefer to give up a few feet in casting
distance & have more line strength - just do not want that trophy to break
the line."

Here's a couple of links that I found.
I was unable to find a really good & objective review of fishing line.

Spider wi
http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/...splay/270.html

Fluorocarbon:
http://www.activeangler.com/articles.../invisible.asp

THANKS
Gene

Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
Sarge

Gene wrote: I plan to replace all the line on all my fresh & sal****er
reels. I'm still using the old open-face spinning & Ambassador baitcasters
for sal****er trout, reds & flounder - as well as bass in fresh water:-)
QUESTION: Is there one good monofiliment type line that I can use for both
fresh & sal****er?"

Gene, I fish almost exclusively sal****er except for an occasional trip for
sac-a-lait in some fresh water areas. I also fish with several guides in
coastal areas. I have had several guides tell me the best mono line is
Trilene Big Game. They find it has good abrasion qualities yet it still has
some stretch. They use this line every day taking both experience and
inexperience fisherman. It is not uncommon in this area for your line to
rub oyster reefs, pilings, oil or gas rig legs covered with barnacles or any
other underwater obstruction.

Now my personal preference is Power Pro braid line. Unlike Spiderwire it
does not bind into itself because of its shape. If I feel I need mono, I
tie on a mono leader.

If you never fished braid line, you need to realize that when setting the
hook, you do not have to pull back as hard. Braid line is more sensitive
then mono. You need to learn to tie a palmor knot because it is the best
knot for braid line as other knots will slip.

Sarge

Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:56 PM
GeneS

THANKS, Sarge.

I have never used braded line.
I also fish the oyster reefs, etc. on the Texas Gulf
Coast - mostly at Port A.

In your opinion:
Which type of line is less likely to make a birdnest?
Which type of line will cast the farthest?

Thanks,
Gene

Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
Bob Rickard

That would have been a valid question in 1988, but this is 2004. Two words
is all it takes to answer that today: Power Pro.

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:56 PM
Jeff Durham

I went out with a guide salt water fishing in Sarasota Bay last year in
Florida. He used exclusively PowerPro. It was either 20lb or 30lb test.
He said it was less all around trouble to keep his customers happy. I would
have to agree. These high strength lines have small diameters which is an
advantage over mono. I have since switched to PowerPro for my freshwater
fishing and I really like it. I have also used Fireline with good success,
but I like the PowerPro better because it just looks better longer. The
only time I really consider using mono is for slip bobber fishing, but even
then, I still use the braided.

The only thing I hate about braided lines is tying a palomar knot and
trimming it. I can tie an improved clinch knot in my sleep and mono is
always easier to trim. The braided stuff is difficult to cut. But hey,
that is a good thing! :-)

Jeff

P.S. I have heard good comments about Stren braided line, but I do not have
experience with it. It is more expensive than PowerPro.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:08 PM
Sarge

Gene wrote:" In your opinion:
Which type of line is less likely to make a birdnest?
Which type of line will cast the farthest?"

Gene,

I personally am a power pro fan. I have used it on both baitcaster and
spinning reels. Using the power pro 12 LB. test on a Calcutta reel last
year I pulled in a 45 LB black drum that ran back and forth across the
oyster reef for 30 minute fight. I released the fish and rebaited with
another live shrimp and hooked up with a 33 LB. bull red over the same reef.
After another 20 minute fight, I boated the fish took a picture and released
it. I then looked at my line near the hook and it was just about to break
from the rubbing against the oyster reef. Despite how frayed it got, I
still did not lose the fish. I feel that if I was using mono, I would have
lost the redfish.

I believe that birdnest problems comes from not setting the reel correctly
to the lure weight. The rest of the problems are usually operator error.

I never checked to see which cast the farthest since I am usually fishing
within 30 yards of where I want to cast.

Another tip when using braid line is to either back the reel with mono or
tape the line to the reel after you make your knot. Braided line is very
slippery and will not bite into the reel. This will cause the line to spin
around the reel instead of reeling in. Also make sure that the line is on
tight. Braid line must be reeled tight in order to prevent casting
problems.

When setting the hook, a slight lift of the rod tip is usually all it takes
to set the hook. I fish Carolina rig a lot with live bait. When I get a
hit, I usually wait to set the hook. A few seconds late, The fish comes
back and starts to swim off with the bait and that is when I set the hook.

As I stated before, I have several friends that are guides and they all
prefer Trilene Big Game. They state that it is the most abrasion resistant
of the mono. Most guides in this area carry spinning reels only. Mono is
cheaper then braided. More cost means less profit. It is not unusual for
the guide to have to pop the line several times a trip. So if he has to
keep replacing braid line before it time due to hang up then he is losing
more money with braided then mono.

Sarge

Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:16 PM
Bob La Londe

"Jeff Durham" wrote in message
.. .

The only thing I hate about braided lines is tying a palomar knot and
trimming it. I can tie an improved clinch knot in my sleep and mono is
always easier to trim.

I resemble that remark. Seriously, it has taken me some time to get used to
tying a palomar knot instead of a Trilene knot. I started tying trilene
knots for almost everything back in the late 70s when they were doing all
their promotions about winning money if you set a line test record etc....
I've only been tying palomar knots for a year. I still find myself starting
to tie a trilene knot when I get in a hurry.

Bob La Londe
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Members Automatically Entered To Win Free Tackle
http:///www.YumaBassMan.com

Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:40 PM
Tilman Fliegel

The trilene is still my favourite knot, even for braid. I double the line
and do 3 turns Fireline and non coated braids, but power pro needs 7 turns.
the palomor has been less consistent for me and has had less breaking
strength.

Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:06 AM
Marty

"GeneS" wrote in message
I plan to replace all the line on all my fresh & sal****er reels.
I'm still using the old open-face spinning & Ambassador baitcasters
for sal****er trout, reds & flounder - as well as bass in fresh water:-)

QUESTION:
Is there one good monofiliment type line that I can use for both
fresh & sal****er?

Here's my order of interest:
1. Will not tangle (curl up) - the grandkids will be using them as well
2. Will stretch - rather than break
3. The diameter of the line should be as small as possible for,

Lots of comments about Power Pro, but you asked about mono. I haven't used
all the lines, but I believe Trilene XL will meet all three requirements.
Someone else who replied had bad experience with Trilene, but I've used XL
on and off for years and don't recall any breakages at all.